I Can't Help But Be Really Irritated By This...

Lounge By GixxerChick Updated 6 Mar 2013 , 12:56am by jason_kraft

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 5:06pm
post #31 of 184

AI have better ways to spend my Sunday than searching your posts. Sorry. I think you know what I say is true though, and I suspect you've been told before.

And I would appreciate it if you don't report my post as some sort of personal attack on you, as I was simply answering your question.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 5:44pm
post #32 of 184

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

I have better ways to spend my Sunday than searching your posts. Sorry. I think you know what I say is true though, and I suspect you've been told before.

I have been told this before by a few people, but no one ever seems to produce any concrete examples. I don't think it's true that I post irrelevant replies, which is why I'm interested to see examples (it's certainly possible that I messed up or misunderstood a post).

And I would appreciate it if you don't report my post as some sort of personal attack on you, as I was simply answering your question.
Not at all, my earlier reply was directed at NJsugarmama's personal attack. Her post was amusing but it still has no place on CC.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 5:49pm
post #33 of 184

Leave it to Jason to want to debate and defend in a thread meant to blow off steam.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:00pm
post #34 of 184

Help!  I'm doing surgery tomorrow.  Can anyone tell me how to use a scalpel?

dinmauk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinmauk2 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:08pm
post #35 of 184

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

I'm new here, and have been very startled to see how many people take orders they don't know how to produce. It's one thing to ask how a certain technique is done, or a certain look is achieved, but things like, 'help! how do I make a stacked cake, I'm doing on for a wedding next week', sort of horrify me.

If I was a bride, and I found out I placed an order with someone who had never done a wedding cake, I would be really upset.

I don't want to come across like I'm bashing people for being new to baking and/or decorating, but come on! If you take an order for red velvet, you darn well better know how to make red velvet! That goes for working with fondant, sheet pans, large rounds, scratch recipes... etc.

Em, but EVERYONE has to start with someone's wedding cake, don't they?

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:12pm
post #36 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

start by holding the "pointy end" of the scalpel away from you...and DON'T run with it in your hand! icon_twisted.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:19pm
post #37 of 184

dinmauk, no, most people don't start with someones wedding cake.  They start with cakes for themselves/family/friends/coworkers.  Maybe a few shower, birthday, just because I want cake cakes, etc.  By the time you do a wedding cake it should be no big deal. 

dinmauk2 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:19pm
post #38 of 184

A

Original message sent by NJsugarmama

I've seen your answers...I can smell the passive-aggressiveness in your response a mile away. Target market...region...annoying. You don't care...it's your way of showing dominance that you probably lack at home.

What does Jason's dominance or lack of it at home have to do with anything? When you insult someone's person, you are opening yourself to insults to your person. Let's ALL respect ourselves. You complain that newbies ask too many irrelevant questions, so you don't answer. Now you want to bash someone who is willing to answer those 'irrelevant questions'?!

I'm not a fan of Jason's, indeed I've never needed his advice (different country regulations), but I'm sure his advice has helped people here.

dinmauk2 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:22pm
post #39 of 184

A@denetteb, pls read the post. 'If I was a bride, and I found out I placed an order with someone who had never done a WEDDING cake...''

dinmauk2 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:26pm
post #40 of 184

AI can't modify my last post; let me clarify. One wedding cake has to be someone's first wedding cake. Every baker has a first wedding cake. They can start with birthday cakes, etc, but those aren't wedding cakes, you get?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:41pm
post #41 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Worse.  Can someone tell me where to get a scalpel?  And if not what can I use instead? 

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:48pm
post #42 of 184

AI get the fact we all have to start at some point but I started with small cupcake orders, now an occasional birthday cake. I could give away cakes all day long if I want to but I really don't have the $$$ (which brings me to my favorite Facebook rant when you beg you for free samples)

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 6:49pm
post #43 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

Worse.  Can someone tell me where to get a scalpel?  And if not what can I use instead? 

get scissors from kitchen drawer...break apart scissors, so you have a single blade...same usage instructions as scalpel, see earlier post icon_twisted.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:03pm
post #44 of 184

dinmauk, correct, I get it, didn't catch the specific reference.  Yes, at some point there is a first wedding cake so that alone shouldn't be a deal breaker. 

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:21pm
post #45 of 184

How the fork did a ranting thread about the stupidity of the average person become about Jason's authority at home. People are such gits.

cheeksgirls805 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeksgirls805 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:40pm
post #46 of 184

AAs a newbie to this forum I can completely understand where you all are coming from. I spend most of my free time looking through this site to gain as much knowledge as I can. I personally have only been making more elaborate cakes since October and because of many of you and your previous posts and responses I have learned many new things so thank you. I haven't posted much because of all the other help posts to learn from but like it has been stated google is my friend and has pushed me to create bigger things. Some people just look for the easiest way to get answers and that's what I gather from the help posts. I want easy but willing to try and try and try if the first few times don't work. My boyfriend and I have had many conversations about this subject not in the cake world but in life itself. Please don't stop the help you all have given. Thank you all again for helping me slowly produce and push myself to greater acheivement.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:45pm
post #47 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmauk2 

Em, but EVERYONE has to start with someone's wedding cake, don't they?

I was just meaning a stacked cake, shouldn't have called it a 'wedding cake'.

dinmauk2 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:56pm
post #48 of 184

AO, ok. To be honest, I wouldn't either.

jason_kraft Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:56pm
post #49 of 184

A

Original message sent by FromScratchSF

Leave it to Jason to want to debate and defend in a thread meant to blow off steam.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Debating (and in general helping people out on CC and other forums) is how I blow off steam. If having an on-topic debate is against the forum rules you are free to report my posts to the moderators for removal.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 9:06pm
post #50 of 184

A

Original message sent by Godot

How the fork did a ranting thread about the stupidity of the average person become about Jason's authority at home. People are such gits.

Uh... I couldn't agree more!

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 9:14pm
post #51 of 184

A

Original message sent by Norasmom

Original message sent by virago

start by holding the "pointy end" of the scalpel away from you...and DON'T run with it in your hand! :twisted:

Original message sent by cakeyouverymuch

Isn't this the painful truth?

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 10:31pm
post #52 of 184

Hello everyone, I hope the moderator does not lock this thread, I really like iticon_twisted.gif, I'm a newbie and will be for a long time, so I will be checking this forum a lot, and cake decorating too, but I have no desire to sell, mass produce, even an occasional 7 tier cake with different flavors for a wedding, not even for my daughter! Huh! That's why we have bakers like you who is more than capable of producing anything from nothing.I only want to bake a cake that I can share with very few close friends and my 86 year old mother-in-law, believe me I donot think  the occasional baking will  impact the Home Cottage Cake and Bread Industry. Not in this town anyway, where buying a ready made cake is the norm?icon_cool.gif.

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 11:02pm
post #53 of 184

Members,

Since there seems to be confusion here, let me set things straight.

This is the Lounge.  Off topic discussions, de-railing threads and debates are totally allowed.  Your observations about one member or another is allowed.  Making a post about your observation about another member is allowed.  Just about every post in this thread has been flagged because some of you are taking "personal attacks" to mean anyone disagreeing with you or another member.  That is NOT a personal attack.  

Some of you are flagging stuff because you've been busted for making a personal attack in the past so now you feel everyone should be busted.  I'm not going to tell you not to flag, but don't be surprised if nothing happens because of it.  

Bottom line:  this is the Lounge.  As long as there is no name calling (which is a personal attack) and as long as there is no hostility towards each other, Cake Central, or nameless-faceless people, carry on.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 11:11pm
post #54 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

get scissors from kitchen drawer...break apart scissors, so you have a single blade...same usage instructions as scalpel, see earlier post icon_twisted.gif

Now where can I get a free pattern for an appendectomy?

peppercorns Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 11:35pm
post #55 of 184

Hold it!  Before you use the pointed end of anything, MAKE SURE, you have a mask an apron, gloves, to protect yourself. If you already have all the utensils, I will  email you pattern for appendectomyicon_mad.gif.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 11:41pm
post #56 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorns 

Hold it!  Before you use the pointed end of anything, MAKE SURE, you have a mask an apron, gloves, to protect yourself. If you already have all the utensils, I will  email you pattern for appendectomyicon_mad.gif.

Do I actually need the mask?  I mean, can't I just hold my breath?

peppercorns Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 11:53pm
post #57 of 184

Sure you can, if you can count past three, you'll get that appendix in no time, he heicon_twisted.gif, wait a minute did someone baked a kidneyicon_surprised.gif? And what is grasshopper cake anyway?

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 12:31am
post #58 of 184

A

Original message sent by SystemMod1

Members,

Since there seems to be confusion here, let me set things straight.

This is the Lounge.  Off topic discussions, de-railing threads and debates are totally allowed.  Your observations about one member or another is allowed.  Making a post about your observation about another member is allowed.  Just about every post in this thread has been flagged because some of you are taking "personal attacks" to mean anyone disagreeing with you or another member.  That is NOT a personal attack.  

Some of you are flagging stuff because you've been busted for making a personal attack in the past so now you feel [I]everyone[/I] should be busted.  I'm not going to tell you not to flag, but don't be surprised if nothing happens because of it.  

Bottom line:  this is the Lounge.  As long as there is no name calling (which is a personal attack) and as long as there is no hostility towards each other, Cake Central, or nameless-faceless people, carry on.

Good grief!! Why am I not surprised? I am so sick of the whiny little babies with entitlement issues! "Boo hoo, I got my widdle bitty pwecious feewings hurted! It's not enough that I come here and asked the damnedest dumbest questions on the face of the earth, and suck the fun out of cakecentral but then I gotta be a tattle tale-ing little bewitch." I have been on here for years and years and and have flagged SPAM!

jason_kraft Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:03am
post #59 of 184

A

Original message sent by SystemMod1

Some of you are flagging stuff because you've been busted for making a personal attack in the past so now you feel [I]everyone[/I] should be busted.  I'm not going to tell you not to flag, but don't be surprised if nothing happens because of it.

In some forums, people who flag too many posts without valid reasons run the risk of losing their flagging privileges.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:59am
post #60 of 184

Don't worry about where to get the scapel, mask, gown etc from, your scrub nurse will look after that for you.  And as for holding it well just say "Scapel stat" like on the telly and she or he will slap it in your hand and you will be holding it.  See easy.  For the appendectomy I suggest you watch the early episode of Greys anatomy where they practice on one another.  I'm sure you will pick up some helpful hints.  The only problem you might have is finding the scrub nurse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%