I Can't Help But Be Really Irritated By This...

Lounge By GixxerChick Updated 6 Mar 2013 , 12:56am by jason_kraft

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 11:03pm
post #121 of 184

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Did your eyes roll back in your head, eyelids fluttering, and did you feel the urge to crush the dreams of every up and coming cake artist with red tape, government regulation, and high entrance costs? :-)

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 11:12pm
post #122 of 184

^^^

awesome! embrace the love!!!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:04am
post #123 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Did your eyes roll back in your head, eyelids fluttering, and did you feel the urge to crush the dreams of every up and coming cake artist with red tape, government regulation, and high entrance costs? :-)

Something like that. I hallucinated that I was going from home kitchen bakery to home kitchen bakery with an ax and "disabling" them, like the revenooers and the back-woods stills. icon_evil.gif

shanter Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:12am
post #124 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Except it's not really necessary to know how to use Google before the surgery, as long as you cover the open wound with some plastic wrap . . . .

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. Is Saran Wrap okay or do they need to use Press 'n' Seal?

From a Georgia State University document:

"e.  Surgical draping of the disinfected area is required when sterile tissues or instrument may come in contact with non sterile portions of the body.

i.  Use of adhesive plastic food wrap (e.g. Press-n-Seal is the only currently available product), pulled from a clean roll and applied across the surgical field and surrounding area. The incision can be made directly through the plastic wrap and into the skin."

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:24am
post #125 of 184

I am totally floored with the comments here, this is the best entertainment I ever had!icon_twisted.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:00am
post #126 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. Is Saran Wrap okay or do they need to use Press 'n' Seal?

From a Georgia State University document:

"e.  Surgical draping of the disinfected area is required when sterile tissues or instrument may come in contact with non sterile portions of the body.

i.  Use of adhesive plastic food wrap (e.g. Press-n-Seal is the only currently available product), pulled from a clean roll and applied across the surgical field and surrounding area. The incision can be made directly through the plastic wrap and into the skin."

ewww--that's really creepy--

they teach that to people???

omg!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:01am
post #127 of 184

Remember to keep the wound MOIST.  It must be MOIST.  icon_biggrin.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:34am
post #128 of 184

Can I freeze it?

shanter Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:39am
post #129 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

ewww--that's really creepy--

they teach that to people???

omg!

OK. I confess. That was about "antiseptic technique in animal surgery." See, they don't want to have to shave and sterilize a rat's entire body before they . . . . .

never mind.

shanter Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:28am
post #130 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Remember to keep the wound MOIST.  It must be MOIST.  icon_biggrin.gif

And CLEAN!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:48am
post #131 of 184
Quote:

And CLEAN!

and MODERN!!!

and not so sweet?

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:01am
post #132 of 184

Jason you are my hero.  I was sitting here reading, drinking my coffee and enjoying myself, when stray thoughts of things I should be doing kept entering my mind, like all those cobwebs that need removing, so then I started to feel guilty.  Then I thought about all the times you remind us that we need a license and I thought "well, pest exterminators advertise that they are licensed" so obviously you need a license to get rid of spiders and as I don't have one and don't want to break the law then I had better leave those spiders alone.

Then I thought that maybe I should do some housework but with all those dangerous chemicals I thought that I probably should consider doing a safety handling course

before attempting.

That left dinner to prepare for when hubby comes home from work but then I remembered your sage advise about how if you are paid for the ingredients it is no longer a hobby.  I am a kept woman so hubby pays for the ingredients.  I suppose I had better notify the tax department that I am starting a business and go off and do the required food handling courses and get my kitchen inspected before I ever feed him again.  I don't want to get into trouble.  Thank God we never got around to getting another dog or we would never pass inspection.  Maybe I should look into converting the kids bedrooms into a commercial kitchen just in case a new woofer comes on the scene.  That would also have the added bonus of stopping the kids from continually bouncing back to live with us, rather than just visiting.

Ahhhh, I don't feel guilty any more.  I now have nothing left to do but read cake, dream cake, make cake and best of all eat cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:25am
post #133 of 184

AI haven't been on here in ages it seems..pretty disappointed of some of the post here..wheres the love...and I'm not being sarcastic..I'm sorry to any newbies on here that have hurt feelings-I probably was one of those that asked a bunch of irritating questions because I was so excited to find so much info and it was so overwhelming to find such a site with a wealth of knowledge and wonderful individuals that shared their knowledge and advice with me and appreciate that no one ever shared with me that my questions were stupid or irritating...or if they were it was nice I was oblivious to it..Thank You Ladies that were patient with this newbie at one time.

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:29am
post #134 of 184

AI am very new to cake baking and have never baked a cake before. So today I bought a cake mix and put it in the oven for 45 minutes. I don't know what I did wrong but the box caught on fire and caused my entire house to burn down. Now, here is my question - should I reduce baking time next time or stick with 45 minutes?

jason_kraft Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:44am
post #135 of 184

A

Original message sent by shanter

Something like that. I hallucinated that I was going from home kitchen bakery to home kitchen bakery with an ax and "disabling" them, like the revenooers and the back-woods stills. :evil:

From personal experience, if you will be using an ax to disable home bakeries you'll want to make sure to flash-freeze the ingredient bags with liquid nitrogen first. Makes the process much smoother.

Another tactic would be replacing all the sugar with bags that look identical but contain disco dust instead.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:47am
post #136 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustdust 

I am very new to cake baking and have never baked a cake before. So today I bought a cake mix and put it in the oven for 45 minutes. I don't know what I did wrong but the box caught on fire and caused my entire house to burn down. Now, here is my question - should I reduce baking time next time or stick with 45 minutes?

You must be my sister. I have a feeling she would do something like this. hahaha :icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:48am
post #137 of 184

A

Original message sent by cazza1

Jason you are my hero.  I was sitting here reading, drinking my coffee and enjoying myself, when stray thoughts of things I should be doing kept entering my mind, like all those cobwebs that need removing, so then I started to feel guilty.  Then I thought about all the times you remind us that we need a license and I thought "well, pest exterminators advertise that they are licensed" so obviously you need a license to get rid of spiders and as I don't have one and don't want to break the law then I had better leave those spiders alone. Then I thought that maybe I should do some housework but with all those dangerous chemicals I thought that I probably should consider doing a safety handling course before attempting. That left dinner to prepare for when hubby comes home from work but then I remembered your sage advise about how if you are paid for the ingredients it is no longer a hobby.  I am a kept woman so hubby pays for the ingredients.  I suppose I had better notify the tax department that I am starting a business and go off and do the required food handling courses and get my kitchen inspected before I ever feed him again.  I don't want to get into trouble.  Thank God we never got around to getting another dog or we would never pass inspection.  Maybe I should look into converting the kids bedrooms into a commercial kitchen just in case a new woofer comes on the scene.  That would also have the added bonus of stopping the kids from continually bouncing back to live with us, rather than just visiting. Ahhhh, I don't feel guilty any more.  I now have nothing left to do but read cake, dream cake, make cake and best of all eat cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No worries, if you have a high quality printer you can easily print up the licenses yourself. I have a stack of licenses in my home office, and I always make sure to post the relevant licenses based on what I'll be doing that day.

jason_kraft Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:50am
post #138 of 184

A

Original message sent by crustdust

I am very new to cake baking and have never baked a cake before. So today I bought a cake mix and put it in the oven for 45 minutes. I don't know what I did wrong but the box caught on fire and caused my entire house to burn down. Now, here is my question - should I reduce baking time next time or stick with 45 minutes?

If the mix called for 350 degrees at 45 minutes, you can save time by baking at 3500 degrees for 4.5 minutes instead. Keep it in the box, it will help seal in the flavor (and the moistness).

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:14am
post #139 of 184
Quote:

If the mix called for 350 degrees at 45 minutes, you can save time by baking at 3500 degrees for 4.5 minutes instead. Keep it in the box, it will help seal in the flavor (and the moistness).

Jason, darling, have you been into crustdust's champers?  Or are you now channeling Shanter?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:28am
post #140 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustdust 

you must first add THE CONTENTS of the box to a bowl with 3 eggs, a cup of water, and a 1/3 cup of oil, mix it, and then put it in a greased cake pan. You DO NOT put the entire box into the oven. HTH!

Sheesh people, was that really so hard to help this poor dear? ;-)

jason_kraft Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 4:38am
post #141 of 184

A

you must first add THE CONTENTS of the box to a bowl with 3 eggs, a cup of water, and a 1/3 cup of oil, mix it, and then put it in a greased cake pan. You DO NOT put the entire box into the oven. HTH!

What an incredibly rude and off-topic post! :wink:

shanter Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 5:07am
post #142 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Don't you need to add eggs? You don't have to take them out of the shell first, do you???

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 5:22am
post #143 of 184
Quote:

Don't you need to add eggs? You don't have to take them out of the shell first, do you?

No, of course not! dunce.gif I think some newbies do, but I find it adds a delightful texture and crunch to my cakes to leave them in-shell. I think there will be a trend with my special method very soon ;-)

shanter Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:08am
post #144 of 184
Quote:
Another tactic would be replacing all the sugar with bags that look identical but contain disco dust instead.

Went on line the other night
All the peeps were treating me right
Bein’ funny
Keepin’ the world sunny.

All of a sudden I began to change
I was in the kitchen acting strange
I wanted a buttercream that would crust
Look at this….It’s disco dust!

Ah, get down, cakers
I've got to make me a cake, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha
Disco, disco dust
Got to break those eggs
Disco, disco dust
Oh, get down, cakers
Gonna try my luck, trying reverse creaming
Disco, disco, disco, disco, disco, disco, disco dust
All right
Disco, disco dust
Try the flowers,
Oh cakers, shake your gumpaste, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

The powdered sugar settled but I still needed cake
Cuz there's no stoppin' a caker and his/her mania
So I started again to try my luck
With disco dust

Everybody's usin’
Disco, disco dust
Disco, disco dust
Try your luck
Wave to me
Don't be a cluck
My, oh my
Disco, disco dust
Ah, get down cakers, ha, ha, ha, ha
Try your luck, don't be a cluck
Disco, disco, disco duck
Non-toxic but non-edible

Disco dust

For gettin' down
Disco, disco, disco dust

Thank you so very much
For the disco dust
Disco, disco, disco dust
Disco, disco, disco dust

Adapted from Disco Duck by Rick Dees

AlphaSierra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlphaSierra Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:14am
post #145 of 184

Haha, I'm loving this thread! Some of the questions on here are a little... overused at times. There is a search bar for a reason! ;)  Funny experience: Being trained for cake decorating (at a DQ), it is supposed to be this other girl and I getting a lesson from the senior decorator there.. The other newbie walks away to text on her phone, and I get the lesson in and am ready to practice under supervision. The other girl walks back, takes one look at what we are practicing and says, "Oh, I don't need the lesson. It looks pretty straight forward.", and walks away. Yeah, "pretty straight forward". ;) Her and I just kind of giggled about it. 
Edit: The funny thing was that, by the start of her next shift, she couldn't do anything because she didn't know how!

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 7:12am
post #146 of 184

You guys are killing me!icon_twisted.gif, I am having soooo much fun, please don't stop!

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:50am
post #147 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorns 

Hold it!  Before you use the pointed end of anything, MAKE SURE, you have a mask an apron, gloves, to protect yourself. If you already have all the utensils, I will  email you pattern for appendectomyicon_mad.gif.

Could you make sure the pattern is not copyrighted, and if so send me a release with permission to use it? 

usaribbon.gif

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:07pm
post #148 of 184

Shanter, would I be right in suspecting that you helped drink the aforementioned champagne, maybe all by yourself?

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:26pm
post #149 of 184

A

But that sounds like SO much work!

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:27pm
post #150 of 184

Oh Wooow!!  OK, I just came across the perfect example of what I've been ranting about. Why?  Just please tell me why people do this.  icon_cry.gif

Not sure if this is allowed, but I'm sure the mod will let me know...

Names have been removed to protect the identity of the OP.

" I am making a wedding cake for a good friend of mine next month. I am self taught so I really don't know all the BEST tips and tricks to making a tiered wedding cake. I have a few things that I would love answered if any of you could please help me! :)

Details:

- 200 people attending

- I want to make a vanilla three tiered cake (12", 9", 6" - 2 cakes split for each layer) and sheet cakes (15" by 19") with chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream frosting

Questions:

1. How many sheet cakes will I need to make in addition to the tiered cake to feed 200 people?

2. What is an AWESOME but easy chocolate mousse recipe for the filling between layers, something that will hold up well?

3. What is a basic timeline for when to start the cake, what to make on certain days, etc.

4. Transportation of both tiered cake and sheet cakes (Best ways - will I need to assemble at the venue? Do I take the the sheet cakes out of the pan or keep them in?)

5. What is a great vanilla buttercream recipe that will hold up without sweating and getting too soft

6. I am making a marshmallow fondant ruffle flower topper and would like to know how to make it so it doesn't dry out and look cracked? Is there anything to add to my marshmallow fondant, or a completely different recipe so it holds up and looks smooth?

7. What is the best way to secure real ribbon to the bottom of each tier, without it going through the ribbon itself?"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%