Brand New Kitchenaid Mixer Running Too Fast.

Decorating By Lfredden Updated 18 Apr 2014 , 6:11am by karieeleison

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 24

I recently purchased a brand new Kitchenaid Artisan from Macy's.  The problem I'm having is that it's too fast even on stir speed and will send my ingredients flying out of the bowl.  At first I wasn't able to, but at least now I can start and stop it till the dry ingredients mix into the batter.  But I still think the mixer is way too fast.  I never had this problem with my KA Classic mixer, which I sold.

I phoned KA and they listened to my mixer over the phone and said it sounded just fine.  They suggested I mix my dry ingredients 2 T at a time.  Which I think is ridiculous!  Meanwhile I had flour and batter all over my Kitchen icon_mad.gif.  And yes I was using the shield but that wasn't enough to hold everything in.  So they were unwilling to help.

I can exchange my mixer at Macys but I don't want to do it if I'm going to run into the same problem again.  Has this happened to you?  Are all Artisans like this?  Will my mixer slow down eventually?  Any suggestions?

23 replies
GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 24

I've never heard anyone complain that their Kitchen Aid is too powerful.  lol  Nonetheless, you need a splash guard attachment.   Listen, it happens....I have powdered sugar flying all over and liquids splashing out of my KA all the time.  Get used to it.  You will love the power of it when you have to mix something really thick and heavy!! icon_smile.gif

GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 24

Sorry for not seeing that you already use the guard....the other solution I use when necessary is to cover my KA with a large kitchen towel.  It will still splash a lil, but at least keep it all within a cubic foot of space.

GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 24

LOL   By the way...My mom always taught me that a good baker is a messy baker.  I have both the Artisan and the Pro 610.  Just adding a cup of confectioners sugar at a time, I still get the "sploof" of powder flying out in one direction or another, so it's all sounds pretty normal to me.  Like I said, use the guard and lay a kitchen towel over top the whole mixer...when you need to add something, just lift the corner of the towel.  The space you need to clean will be much smaller. 

PS - Sorry for posting 3 responses...I should know better than to try to answer questions before I've had my coffee.  My thoughts are coming to me in segments.  lol  Be thankful you just have to read this.....and don't have to actually "speak" to me right now. 

Lfredden Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 24

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad to hear this is normal and that my mixer is not possessed.  I'll keep your suggestions in mind.  I guess I just got used to my less powerful classic mixer.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 24

I have the pro 6 but I don't have batter flying all around, with or without the guard. 

GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

I have the pro 6 but I don't have batter flying all around, with or without the guard. 

Not batter, I never have "batter" flying....just the powdered sugar.  lets say I add a cup at a time and I use the paddle attachment...well when that paddle comes around and hits the pile of powdered sugar just added, it "sploofs"...I'm not even sure that's a word, but it's the one I'm using. 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 24

I have a 4.5 quart, 6 qt and 7 quart KA.  The 4.5 quart doesn't have a truly low speed.  I always mix ingredients by hand until moistened, then turn on the mixer.  I rarely get out the splash guards, but often use the towel trick.  Put a dish towel over the mixer and hold it against the side of the bowl to contain the fly away ingredients.  The 6 and 7 quart mixers have a nice low speed, and the bowl can be dropped and gradually elevated while mixing as well.  If i am making some thing likely to be messy, I use one of these, even if I don't need the larger size.  It is just a feature of different models, and maybe has to do with the motor size. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 24

Mine is the same. I don't think 'stir' is an accurate description of its speed. I would prefer if it just folded. (I have the same one as you). 

I guess over time I've become more accustomed to what I can get away with, and what will redecorate my kitchen. But I still have to clean up the PS. 

Lfredden Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 24

I would say that the stir speed is like speed 4 on a classic mixer.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 24

I  found this online, hope it helps! :

Quote:

Instructions

• 1 Move the speed control lever to the area between "Off" and "2." Always start mixing at the slowest speed possible.
    • 2 Gradually move the lever to the right to a higher number to reduce splashing.
    • 3 Move the lever back to the left to a slower setting or to the "Off" position if you are finished.

Read more: How to Adjust the Speed of a Kitchenaid Mixer | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7422203_adjust-speed-kitchenaid-mixer.html#ixzz2MPMrvKZl

I am TOTALLY KIDDING! I just found that hilarious! There is a little lever inside the top that will allow you to adjust the speed. I was looking for instructions, since I am crappy at telling how to do it. There is probably a YouTube video. There is this:

Quote:
The speed regulator is strange; upon opening the unit I expected a rheostat of some sort, but instead it appears as some type of clutch type mechanism (which I doubt it is). The speed lever moves a plate on the back in and out to regulate the speed, and was bottomed out with the lever at "2". There are adjustment screws, so I backed out the plate until the speed was at spec (60 rpm I recall, but do not quote me), tightened the set nuts and put it back together. That was last summer, and it still runs today.

The motor on "1" sounds a little uneven, which bothered me a bit, but I recall my mother's Sunbeam (circa 1965) to sound a bit uneven on low, so I let it go.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the Kitchenaid's. I have a black Artisan in my house, and a pink artisan in the bakery, along with a green ultra power, and a cream colored 5 quart bowl lift one, and I bought a cream colored Artisan for my grandma to replace her Classic, and I have used my mom's Classic since I was 12 and told my Step-father to go get it for her (actually, me! I moved out when I was 17, 16 years ago, and I swear I have still used it more than her:-D ) I also have a 12 qt Hobart. I open them up when I feel I need to. They are very simple inside, hard to break. More like a car, mechanical, rather than a computer.

Each one is different. I swear, the Classic at my mom's was less powerful than the Classic at my grandma's. My Pink Artisan is faster than my black one. and My Ultra power is slower than my bowl lift mixer, and they have the same power. My Hobart is the next slowest on "stir", after the Green Ultra Power.

I always wrap plastic wrap around my mixer bowl when I add powdered sugar, unless I feel like cleaning up a mess. Add the Beater Blade to the equation, and Pink mixer will have less sugar in the bowl than on the table! I get a LONG piece of the commercial grade, wrap it around the bowl tightly, and wrap the other side up over the top of the mixer, and mix. I peel part of it back to add more once it mixes in, but it doesn't hold as tightly.

GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 24

Quote:

Originally posted by Annabakescakes:

"Instructions

1.     Gradually move the lever to the right to a higher number to reduce splashing.

2.     Move the speed control lever to the area between "Off" and "2." Always start mixing at the slowest speed possible.

3.     Move the lever back to the left to a slower setting or to the "Off" position if you are finished.

Laughed so hard I choked on my coffee!

Annabakescakes Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick 

Quote:

Originally posted by Annabakescakes:

"Instructions

1.     Gradually move the lever to the right to a higher number to reduce splashing.

2.     Move the speed control lever to the area between "Off" and "2." Always start mixing at the slowest speed possible.

3.     Move the lever back to the left to a slower setting or to the "Off" position if you are finished.

Laughed so hard I choked on my coffee!

Seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? I wonder what sort of person the writer is, if he didn't know when he bought his, and how long it took him to figure it out? dunce.gif

GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 7:56pm
post #16 of 24

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgYFmrrVGmCeV4OsFy7s-lnJSgj7fYwrEZEI0qc4cj9xifBQnTdg  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXXTNT02wDMGMbOIG6liSaWGt7aunjjmzcM76sFvCIcgX4r4dm  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnujDRexOUwwW4jNuFnw41z5AYezNZe8UjsYdd6gh8BIx_aex1-A

GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 24

Oh...and ya can't forget this one...
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTj7BDFKxsVts8G48M4nNZ8EOJJve3mMKLIRZiDXzb7whXSC42TWQ

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 8:29am
post #18 of 24

My favorite is the "TOUCHING WIRES CAUSES INSTANT DEATH! $200 FINE" Um, if you're dead, who are they going to fine? Is it a "fee" for the having to scrape the charred body off the wire? Do they sue your mom for you being stupid? There are just too many questions with this one!

GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 12:26pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

My favorite is the "TOUCHING WIRES CAUSES INSTANT DEATH! $200 FINE" Um, if you're dead, who are they going to fine? Is it a "fee" for the having to scrape the charred body off the wire? Do they sue your mom for you being stupid? There are just too many questions with this one!

Agreed!!  I think they bill your estate?

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 3:30pm
post #20 of 24

AI wondered about that too! I saw a report about a guy who accidentally walked into a train while texting, and a young lady was hit by a flying leg, or something, and it broke a bone and traumatized her (duh!) so the girl's family is during the dead guys family o.O That's just wrong!

But to stay on topic ;-) I would open it up and mess around, if you are comfortable. You can always open it up and peek in there and then make your decision. Just close it up, no harm done, if it looks too scary. And if the store will exchange it, no questions, I would just play inside and see what sort stuff I can mess with, but I always loved taking things apart! The best part is when you put it back together and it still works!

kikiandkyle Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 7:45pm
post #21 of 24

There is a great YouTube video from ereplacementparts on taking your Kitchenaid apart, I looked at a lot and this was the easiest to follow. 

Personally I like the ads on tv 'if you or a loved one have suffered injury or death from using this product call us' - sure, let me call you because I died from taking this. 

GixxerChick Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 10:58pm
post #22 of 24

The whole, "Don't put your baby in the dryer" thing really gets me  cuz someone actually had to do it once if they're warning you about it.

kikiandkyle Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 12:15am
post #23 of 24

Yup. Pretty much every annoying rule, warning and liability waiver out there comes from someone doing just that. And usually suing someone because they were too stupid to know better afterwards.

karieeleison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karieeleison Posted 18 Apr 2014 , 6:11am
post #24 of 24

AI know your post is over a year old, but I've got to tell you that a couple years ago my ooooold KA mixer started doing the same thing. A month or so ago, I found instructions online on how to take the mixer apart and adjust the speeds (seemed a bit complicated and looked like I'd probably want to re-grease the gears then too, because they'll probably look disgusting). For some reason I neglected to send myself a link to the website...wasn't so smart, I know. I'll keep looking.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5958870_troubleshoot-kitchenaid-not-work-gears.html#page=0

Ok. Here is the one I found that might actually fix mine. I'm off next week and will try it. I'll also, I think, buy some good synthetic food-grade (kitchen appliance) grease.

On YouTube, also, the man from ereplacementparts does a great job showing repairs

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%