Sheet Cake In A Small Oven

Decorating By katefarquharson Updated 2 Mar 2013 , 2:14pm by GixxerChick

katefarquharson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefarquharson Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 2

I am new to sheet cakes. shock horror! 

Here is my situation: I am making a board game cake to serve 50 people. the decorating is fine, JUST the baking for me is an issue. 

I have quite a small oven. The tray that slots in is 34x41cm (13.4"x16.1")

I am thinking of using this martha stewart vanilla cake :
http://www.marthastewart.com/897987/classic-yellow-cake-batter

I guess I would triple it? 

I am actually quite lost, the baking is always the bit I find tedious! deciding on a recipe, buying ingredients, budgeting ingredients, baking, trying to make sure nothing goes wrong etc....

I only have round tins, or the roasting trays that slot in which are only about 1.5-2" deep. I could get inventive with building up the sides etc, but what I am wondering is if it is a huge problem for the tray to be slotted in, so pretty much touching the sides of the oven? Or does it not matter too much? 

If anyone could help me with a recipe, or what pan size, or baking tips, or how to keep my costs down, ANYTHING!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

When it comes to squares and rectangles I suddenly freak out, circles are much better!!! 

1 reply
GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 2

I actually have several suggestions....
1.  Never offer to do a cake you're not fully prepared to do.
2.  You really, really need to buy more pans.
3.   For a sheet cake larger than your oven, bake it in segments.  (i.e.;  bake two smaller sheets and put them side by side to ice)
4.  Be careful when doubling and tripling recipes, sometimes you can run into trouble with the amount of liquids added.  (i.e.; Lets say you're making a small box of pudding and it calls for adding 1 1/2 Cups of milk...well if you're doubling it, it doesn't say to add 3 Cups...it says to add 2 1/4 Cups.)  See what I mean?  (just an example) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%