Talk About Last Minute......!

Decorating By debsuewoo Updated 18 Sep 2005 , 11:05pm by Moviechick00

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 4:29am
post #1 of 23

So I get an IM from the DH yesterday afternoon, late afternoon, telling me he forwarded an e-mail to me. It's from one of the supervisors at his job asking if I can do a "Welcome to the company" cake for Friday afternoon. Sure, why not. One simple sheet cake in the flavor of my choice, design of my choice. A no brainer, little money, but LOTS of advertising. Anyway, today I bake the cake (chocolate) and am letting it cool before I make my icing (who wants to be in a hot kitchen?) and I go to read my e-mail and there is another e-mail from this supervisor asking for another cake.... 2 year old grand daughter, Elmo fanatic. Can I? Delivery on Friday afternoon? Am I a magician? I'll let you know tomorrow.

Debbi

22 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 4:32am
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsuewoo

So I get an IM from the DH yesterday afternoon, late afternoon, telling me he forwarded an e-mail to me. It's from one of the supervisors at his job asking if I can do a "Welcome to the company" cake for Friday afternoon. Sure, why not. One simple sheet cake in the flavor of my choice, design of my choice. A no brainer, little money, but LOTS of advertising. Anyway, today I bake the cake (chocolate) and am letting it cool before I make my icing (who wants to be in a hot kitchen?) and I go to read my e-mail and there is another e-mail from this supervisor asking for another cake.... 2 year old grand daughter, Elmo fanatic. Can I? Delivery on Friday afternoon? Am I a magician? I'll let you know tomorrow.

Debbi

The words ignorant and inconsiderate come to mind. Sure, why not, whip them up in an hour, right?
Hugs Squirrelly

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 4:58am
post #3 of 23

be prepared o be amazed by the fabulous debsuewoo............tada......

Thats happens to me too......love my husband toots my horn everywhere he goes but forgets I need time to process after after CC a cake is not just a cake anymore.....its an artistic creation....

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 23

Hey, if you're like me, you work better under pressure and a looming deadline! If you're able to get the Elmo cake done (and I just know you will), you should find a nice, subtle way to tell the guy that you really appreciate his business and since you're business is growing so much and you're getting so many orders, he might want to give you a few days notice next time he needs a cake so he can be sure you're available to make it and not already booked! Just a friendly "warning in advance" type thing. Can't wait to see your finished products, you magician, you! icon_biggrin.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 23

I am convinced that men have no concept of time, my DH does that kind of stuff all the time...but on the bright side, consider how many people will get to see and taste your wonderful cake! You will most likely get some additional orders. So get to work and good luck!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 23

LOL, Missey!!! I know the feeling. And Debbi, I know that you can do it. But I would be sure to let this person know that you have a timing issue and other customers to consider-even if you don't. So from here on in maybe he will have the common decency to realize that you have a life! Good luck, but I know that you won't need it!

Tanya

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 23

That sounds almost as prepared as my last anniversary cake and the wedding cake I'm doing this weekend... the bride/bride's mom let me know about the cake 1 week before the wedding. I called as I had not received a payment yet for the cake... she said "oh yeah, I have your address here somewhere" .. I politely reminded her that if no payment was received, I couldn't do the cake... I got the payment yesterday via express mail .. no more nice cake lady with me.. I've been shafted one too many times like this.. I just tell them, no money, no cake ...

you may need to let the people at your husbands employment, that if they give you a little more notice, you could plan/prepare much better making both your life easier and them not having to worry about getting a cake for something on time..

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 23

I agree with everything that was said before. (no need to write it again), But GOOD LUCK.

You can do it, you can do it, and if you can't oh well he should have given you more time.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 23

I wish you a lot of luck!!!!

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 23

I can totally relate to the time concept with the DH. My DH did that to me too. Calls me in the afternoon asking me if I can whip up a cake for a party in his lab the next day. Now, I'm also a full time graduate student who also works all day in a lab, so I was like "Uh, no???!!!" Can't expect me to bake a cake that has to cool, make frosting, and frost the cake when I get home after 8pm.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 2:50am
post #11 of 23

Ok, clear this up. "DH". my lovely wife says, why it means "Dumb Husband." I say it means "Dear Husband." She replies...sure it does sweetie...some of the time.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 3:50am
post #12 of 23

Well, it means designated husband, but I must admit I think your wife's version is what is thought quite often when the letters are used, that or darn or...
But you can just go on believing it means Darling Husband or Dear Husband or Divine Husband, or whatever makes you feel better, haha!
Love the Avatar!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

debsuewoo Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 4:08am
post #13 of 23

Dale, in my case it definately is DEAR husband. He's not perfect, but he's mine and I'm gonna keep him!

Anyway, got the cakes done and delivered by 12:45 (nothing like delivering in LAX traffic! Do you know how crazy people in rental cars drive, especially when they are returning cars?). I just did a quick simple sheet cake sprinkled with sugar and "Welcome to....... " in a border. That was no problem. Elmo, on the other hand! I tried to use the tip you use to make grass so he could be furry, but the holes kept clogging up! I got the top of the cake done and then switched to a #16 and made it look as furry as possible on the sides. But I did it.
Oh, and I gave the supervisor my card so she can just call me direct and not have to go through the DH.

I have two birthday cakes due next weekend, but I've known about them for a few weeks so I can bake and decorate without stress.

Debbi

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 4:14am
post #14 of 23

Here's one for last minute. One of my coworkers said to me at around 4:30pm yesterday oh I think I need a wedding cake. She said it a couple more times I think I need a wedding cake. HAHA I said to her...she looked at me and said is it possible for you to make me a small wedding cake for tomorow (today). How small I ask. She replies with small I said small to feed how many. Oh I dont know just like this she makes some hand jesturs on how small. I asked a 6 inch stacked onto a 8 inch she says yeah just small like that. So then she tells me she will pick it up from me later on in the evening. Ok I can do it I think. I say yeah sure not a problem. So heres my small wedding cake for last minute. MC
LL
LL

SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 4:15am
post #15 of 23

Well good for you kiddo, you did it, I am so proud of you!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 4:18am
post #16 of 23

And good for you too, Moviechick00, that is an amazing last minute wedding cake, how pretty is that!
Hugs Squirrelly

debsuewoo Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 4:35am
post #17 of 23

Moviechick, pat yourself on the back, gal! That is a beautiful cake, last minute or not! Fantastic!!!

Debbi

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 3:09pm
post #18 of 23

I'm inclined to believe the "D" in "DH" stands for "Dashing, Debonair, Darling and Delectable". The "H" would stand for "Hunka Hunka burnin' love"
Nice cake by the way Mz. Moviechick!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 3:11pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale

I'm inclined to believe the "D" in "DH" stands for "Dashing, Debonair, Darling and Delectable". The "H" would stand for "Hunka Hunka burnin' love"
Nice cake by the way Mz. Moviechick!

Haha, well Dale, looks like you are going to be a lot of fun to have around, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:05pm
post #20 of 23

Can't always be too quick to turn down a last minute cake. I had someone call me on a thursday for a cake on saturday. Turns out she had already called another decorator in town who declined the order because she needs at least a week's advance notice. So she calls me, I say ok. Customer picks up the cake, takes one look at it and says I need a cake for next weekend. Yay! She picks up the next cake and says I need a cake for 60 people week after next. Yay! So, by accepting a last minute order, I have a new regular customer who has lots of friends that she is recommending me to. You never know icon_biggrin.gif

witch_boots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
witch_boots Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 4:28pm
post #21 of 23

Last minute - 10am dropping off DH at work and his coworker runs out to me asking if I can make a cake of a 'woman's chest'! Ok, not a problem...I need it for tomorrow, sure! She had previously ordered a bachelorette cake and cancelled after a certain male piece was hand made out of fondant (trashed that part after 3 weeks and no requests for ANYTHING similar and then accidentally crushing it, ouch!) I told her I would call DH with price and confirmation that it could be done. Off to the cake supply store! I bought an airbrush and a box of colors (yeah! New toy!!) Also got a mini-ball pan for shaping. I called DH back around 11am with price and asked that he make sure the price is ok, finally get confirmation around 12:30pm and they are going to pick up the cake THAT NIGHT instead of tomorrow - ugh!! OH - and now I realize I have no boards or boxes!! Quick create a board from cardboard, box will have to wait...I get the cake done and get a call from her around 7pm to drop the cake off with DH in the morning. Meanwhile, I have a wedding consult (first one!! icon_smile.gif) sitting in the middle of my chaos!! Fortunately she also works with DH. Running out to the store 10 minutes to closing for the box, but it got done!!! I think the cake turned out ok, but, I never like any of the cakes I do - hardest critic!!

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 4:37pm
post #22 of 23

Great job. So simple but yet so elegant.

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 11:05pm
post #23 of 23

Thank you all. It was a freebee for a coworker. As it turns out she told me she would be giving my number to other ppl to expect more orders. So yaya for last minute cakes. LOL MC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%