Dessert Table

Business By sundowng Updated 4 Mar 2013 , 12:02pm by sundowng

sundowng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundowng Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All!  I've got an order for a dessert buffet table for 200 people.  It will be an open house type thing, and there will be fruits and cheeseball/crackers as well.  I would just like to know how many pieces per person of "sweets" I should plan.  What would you plan for for this number of people?

Thanks for any help!

7 replies
LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 8

For finger food type servings, a caterer once told me that if there is other food, 6 pieces per person.  If no other food 12 pieces per person.  That is how I plan and it seems to work.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 8

Wow!   6  to 12 pieces per person seems like an awful lot!  I work with several high end caterers who seem to believe that 2.5 - 3 pieces per person is sufficient if it is dessert after a meal, and a few more than that if it is just sweets.  I tell people they need to know their guests a little bit.  I've done  dessert buffets where there were two pieces per person and there were leftovers and other times when there were 7 pieces per person and not a crumb was left--and I make sure I always tell my clients this.

Ultimately, I believe it is almost as bad to have too much left as not enough, because then the client might think you oversold on purpose.  For a dessert buffet with fruit and cheese, I don't think I'd offer more than 5 -7 pieces per person--and my pieces are always pretty small.

I'm sure there are also regional differences. For example, I believe Texas eats more and larger amounts of sweets than California (where I am ) so take that into account as well.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 8

I did a dessert table for my daughter's wedding: 23 separate items; 100 of each; all in individual servings; each with an attractive, unique garnish; entire thing presented beautifully on two 8' tables. We had 90 guests and very few leftovers (after a substantial buffet meal and wedding cake). Once my husband opened it to the guests--who had politely been eying it for two hours--they swooped in like a flock of vultures. One woman told me she managed to make it through 18 of them!

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 8

I'm getting ready to do one for my friends non-profit so trying to keep costs down. One thing I told her that if you keep the variety/options down people won't want to try to sample everything!  However, if it's really, really good as I know all of everyone's desserts here are you still may get people taking more than planned.  Also, if there are kids - kids will take everything and take a bite and then not eat it.  So factor that in as well.

It will also depend on the other factors that the other posters mentioned - other food, time of day even.

Good luck!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 8

I've been doing sweet tables professionally for 25* years.....the standard banquet halls, country clubs and bakeries use is 2.5 per person.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 8

It also depends on the size of the item.  With minis, I can definitely see 6 per person.  For larger desserts, I would say 2-3 per person.

sundowng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundowng Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 8

I tried writing a post days ago, but it didn't post.  Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks a lot for all the help.  It does give me a direction to go.  I've decided to go with minis and shoot for 4 pieces/ person.  There will also be fruit and a cheese plate there.

Thanks a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%