LittleBroccoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBroccoli Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 9

Anyone got any ideas please?

8 replies
LittleBroccoli Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 9

Would I place the slightly cooled tempered chocolate around the cakes with greaseproof, then use more tempered chocolate on top of the wrap, once its on the cake to make the swirls?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 9

It looks like the panels were made, and the decorator either iced over it with more white chocolate and created the swirl, or they took a hot knife to the panel.  But I think it was applied after the fact, because the panels would have to be majorly thick to try to do a hot knife technique without breaking through the panel.  It's very unique and pretty, I think.

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 9

I did a Google image search and it came up on this website.  It gives a little more detail:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Tier-White-Chocolate-Swirl-Wedding/dp/B0080DGKTY

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 9

Use the zoom feature over the picture and look closely.  It was definitely white chocolate panels with more white chocolate applied over it.  You can clearly see it in the picture, using the zoom feature. 

What I would do is let the chocolate cool so it's fairly stiff, and then apply it when it's thicker.  If you try to apply it when it's liquid and hot, you will not only melt the panel but it will run all over the place.

LittleBroccoli Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 9

It is a lovely cake, and I'd really like to take it on. Thanks Annie and Remnant. Yes it is that same cake Annie, brilliant use of their Zoom feature! Yes I think you are right, if I attempt it I think I'd do the panelling (thick!) and then use the back of a spoon dipped in tempered choc to create the swirls, hope it doesn't melt through the panels though! 

LittleBroccoli Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Use the zoom feature over the picture and look closely.  It was definitely white chocolate panels with more white chocolate applied over it.  You can clearly see it in the picture, using the zoom feature. 

What I would do is let the chocolate cool so it's fairly stiff, and then apply it when it's thicker.  If you try to apply it when it's liquid and hot, you will not only melt the panel but it will run all over the place.

Thanks a million Annie, will bear your advice in mind. Have just sent the bride the quote.....its a last minute one for 16 March! So hopefully, if she goes with me I can show you how it turned out thumbs_up.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 9

Yes please make sure you post pictures!

If you make the panel thick, you shouldn't have to worry about it melting as long as the chocolate is fairly cool. 

Good luck! 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 9

Never mind, I see you're in the UK! Why not go down to M&S and get a closer look? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%