Looking For Any Info Or Tutorials On How To Make A Espresso Cup With Plate Fondant Cake.

Decorating By Annne30 Updated 28 Feb 2013 , 8:13am by Evoir

Annne30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annne30 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:40am
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone!

I am very new on cake central. This is my 1st post. So I apologize if im not at the right place...

Tried to go online to find anything that could help me make a espresso cup and saucer fondant cake as realistic as possible. Couldn't find anything...

Does anyone have any ideas where I can find some information or tutorials? Please.

Thank you!

6 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 4:24am
post #2 of 7

Hey Annne30,

When I make plates and cups, I usually just use a real plate or cup as a mold. For the plate, I roll out gumpaste and lay it on the plate that I want it to look like. Wait a day or so and it should be hard and look just like the plate. For the cup, I did the same thing. I rolled out the gumpaste and put it into the cup. I made a handle separately.

Here's an example:

I hope that helps!

Annne30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annne30 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 5:25am
post #3 of 7

Thank you SaltCakeCity!

Great cake !...

The advice you gave me was great... But I guess I wasn't very clear in my question.

I am wanting my cake to be in the "tea cup" as well. I posted a photo.

Not sure what type of pan to use for this cake!?!

I will for sure you your trick for the plate. Thank you!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 7:21am
post #4 of 7

Does it have to be fondant? You could make the plate and cup using chocolate molds  and put the cake inside the cup and a slice on the plate.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 7:28am
post #5 of 7

AI would carve the cake. IMO that would be the easiest option. Set a teacup right near you for reference, & start carving bits at a time, so you don't go too far too fast. I was lucky to discover that I have a knack for carving, but a teacup would be a great start, if you haven't done it before. Make a gumpaste or pastillage handle with picks in the ends that can be inserted into the covered cake. The plate could be molded pastillage, an actual plate, or a slightly carved cake layer. Would love to see the final product! :)

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 7:31am
post #6 of 7

I agree, I would carve as well, and you can just carve it so that there is a raised lip around the top, then when it's all covered in fondant , fill the top with white ganache coloured to look like tea.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 8:13am
post #7 of 7

AI would bake the cake in a cup...make sure it's ovenproof :-). Get it greased then dusted with flour, tapping out the excess, before adding the batter.

Bake, cool 10 mins then unmold. I would then wrap and freeze overnight, before ganaching carefully then applying fondant.

I prefer this to carving as you have that closely packed outer shell of cake which resists crumbling apart - like a carved surface. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%