Cup Cake Tower Disaster!

Business By calamitycakes Updated 28 Feb 2013 , 3:00am by sweettooth101

calamitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calamitycakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:47am
post #1 of 5

AHi, I made a wedding cake cupcake tower with a cake on the top for last Saturday. I delivered and set up the cake at the venue, all was good. Spoke to both the wedding coordinator and the groom and mentioned that when cutting the top tier they should remove it from the stand. The stand had4 levels and didn't want it collapsing when they tried to cut it. Today I picked up the stand and was told that it actually did collapse. When asked what happened was told it just toppled over! My question is why am I getting told 4 days after it happened and what should I do? I haven't heard from the bride or groom themselves. Did the table get bumped or knocked? I obviously want to offer compensation but is it my problem if it was knocked?

4 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 4:14am
post #2 of 5

No, it is not your problem if it was knocked, or if it fell because they left the cake on top, if you told them not to. What stand is it? Was it damaged? If it was, and it was their fault, then you need to take it out of the deposit. And do you normally pick your stands up? I make them bring them to me! Gas was $3.89 a gallon today...SMH!

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 5

It is not your responsibility to compensate them. Do you have a contract? I state right in my contract that once the cupcake/cakes are set up it is no longer my problem if something happens.  You can't be held responsible if someone were to bump the table or they didn't listen to you about taking the tier off.  I also informed them that if my cupcake trees are not returned to me in the same condition as when I set them up, they are held responsible for buying me a new one.  I am not sure what type of cupcake stand that you are using but I can't see how any of them would just topple over.  Something is fishy to me...

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 5

I'll bet they cut the cake while it was still on the stand because it would make a better "cutting the cake" picture.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:00am
post #5 of 5

Ask to see a picture of the cake cutting. I usually ask the person who receives or is at the venue to sign the delivery paper stating it was set up and left in good condition and I also take a few pictures. Giving instructions in writing is a good idea too.Whatever happens after you deliver is not your responsibility.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%