Wa Cottage Food Law

Business By ShannonDavie Updated 7 Jan 2015 , 7:41am by CakesbyKelsey

experimenting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
experimenting Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 10:57pm
post #31 of 53
Sorry you're having such a hard time ShannonDavie. I know how frustrating it can be. It took a total of 4 months from when I first submitted my application to when I finally got my inspection. It didn't take them a month between submissions for me to get answers though. My reviewer was pretty good about getting back to me. Maybe yours has more to review at one time then mine did. My recipes were approved last December (that includes SMBC and ganache), so I'm not sure why yours aren't getting approved. Differences between the counties, I guess? Have you heard anything from Felicia?
ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 8:03pm
post #32 of 53

Thanks experimenting...I actually finally had my inspection today and I passed! I am so glad to be done with the process!! It only took me 3 months though...I can't believe yours took 4!! They said it would not vary by county. When I mentioned that I knew of someone in another county that had SMBC approved that wasn't 3:1 ratio they just said I could give them your info and they would look into it. Of course I told them I wasn't trying to get someone else to have to change their recipe so I just left it alone after that. I did finally get my ganache approved but I had to change my milk chocolate recipe to a 3:1 ratio. I tried pretty hard to get the SMBC approved but they wouldn't budge and I just finally decided to let it go so I could move on and get my license. I do think I will try again when review time comes because SMBC is so much better! Anyway thank you for your help and good luck at renewal time. Let me know how it goes if you remember :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 8:05pm
post #33 of 53

Do they have a way to get your SMBC recipe tested?

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 8:08pm
post #34 of 53

This recipe passes the Ph and aW levels required by most states. If you state has a testing laband allows this it's worth the $ for testing in my eyes.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 8:23pm
post #35 of 53

Maybe now that you have passed you could talk to someone above your reviewer about this. They may not be aware that their reviewers have such varying differences in what they approve. It is something that is going to cause alot of headaches for other people trying to get apporved if one reviewer lets it pass and another does not. All the people need to be on the same page with what is allowed. Or if you have heard from Felicia maybe she could talk to some people that helped her get this passed. Im still working on getting my recipes together, and now Im worried that its going to take awhile lol. I know all new laws have some kinks to work out, (and income limits that need to be removed) So hopefully it will all get worked out in the end. Did you have to pay anything extra for all of the reviews?

ShannonDavie Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 9:14pm
post #36 of 53

BatterUpCake yes I had the option to have my recipes tested by a lab but I chose not to take on the extra cost. I had about 13 recipes for SMBC and each one of them had to be tested. I think it's about $15 each which isn't terrible but after all the fees I had to pay plus other costs for starting my business I decided to just not have them tested at this time. I think I will probably have them tested for renewal time now that I can actually start working and bringing in a little income.

ShannonDavie Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 9:20pm
post #37 of 53

Smallfrye - I did try talking to the regional manager about my recipes but he just said there had been changes recently and that what my reviewer was telling me was correct. I think it really made my reviewer upset that I even asked the manager because she actually spoke to another reviewer who then called me and gave me a bit of a hard time for talking to someone other than my reviewer. After that I tried not to make any waves because I just wanted to get approved and get up and running. I seriously think (and this is probably paranoia) that my reviewer took extra time responding because she was upset with me for possibly getting her in trouble. But really she probably just had a lot of applications on her desk :) I did not have to pay anything above the original application fee. Good luck to you I hope your process goes smoothly! 

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 9:26pm
post #38 of 53

Well that sucks :( I don't think its fair that they make changes to the approval process in the middle of the year with out making everyone aware of it. I mean for us to make changes it has to go thru a committee and so on. But they can just say "well it was okay last week but not this week" does not seem right. And I'm sorry that they gave you a hard time about talking to someone. They should have this information available for us to see. We would not have to call and email a million times if they would just post what they know.

BatterUpCake Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 12:59pm
post #39 of 53

!3 SMBC recipes??? WHy do you need all of those?

experimenting Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 8:39pm
post #40 of 53

Congratulations ShannonDavie!

That's too bad that they gave you a hard time about talking to other people. On the one hand, I can see how it might make their jobs harder, but on the other hand, it's their job! And you were just trying to do what was right for you. Anyway, thanks for not "ratting me out!" I'm almost certain Felicia has SMBC approved for her permit also. I think I'll email my inspector and ask him about this. He was super duper helpful and thorough and invited met to contact him whenever I want if I ever have any questions. I've already called him once since my inspection and he was just as helpful as the day of my inspection. I'll let you know what he says. That would really blow if they decide not to approve my recipes during my renewal that were previously approved!

Congrats again! :party: :cake: :grin: 

ShannonDavie Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:05pm
post #41 of 53

Hi Experimenting...just wondering if you had any problems getting your ganache approved? I just sent my renewal papers in today! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to process since it expires at the end of the month!!

experimenting Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 5:51pm
post #42 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShannonDavie 

Hi Experimenting...just wondering if you had any problems getting your ganache approved? I just sent my renewal papers in today! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to process since it expires at the end of the month!!

I just submitted my renewal last Friday. I wish I submitted it sooner, but I did a wedding expo 1/19, so I worked on my paperwork right after that. It would've been much easier if I wasn't submitting any new recipes. I went to the Dept. of Ag. in person to submit it and someone came out to talk with me briefly. She said that they will be reviewing all of my old recipes again as a lot of things have changed and things are a lot stricter. For example, she said that Swiss Meringue Buttercreams may no longer be approved because of the eggs. But when I told her I use pasteurized egg whites, she said that that should be fine. I guess we'll see how they feel about my ganache now even though it was approved last year. She warned that it might take a while since everyone is renewing right now. I'll let you know when I get my first notice from them.

ShannonDavie Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 6:55am
post #43 of 53

A

Original message sent by experimenting

I just submitted my renewal last Friday. I wish I submitted it sooner, but I did a wedding expo 1/19, so I worked on my paperwork right after that. It would've been much easier if I wasn't submitting any new recipes. I went to the Dept. of Ag. in person to submit it and someone came out to talk with me briefly. She said that they will be reviewing all of my old recipes again as a lot of things have changed and things are a lot stricter. For example, she said that Swiss Meringue Buttercreams may no longer be approved because of the eggs. But when I told her I use pasteurized egg whites, she said that that should be fine. I guess we'll see how they feel about my ganache now even though it was approved last year. She warned that it might take a while since everyone is renewing right now. I'll let you know when I get my first notice from them.

I am waiting to hear back on my renewal as well. I added a few items and turned it in mid month so I am anxious to get mine back. I tried the SMBC and it would not fly even with pasteurized eggs. I fought for it but gave in eventually so I am interested in seeing if they approve yours. Keep me posted...I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

experimenting Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:17pm
post #44 of 53

Quote:

I am waiting to hear back on my renewal as well. I added a few items and turned it in mid month so I am anxious to get mine back. I tried the SMBC and it would not fly even with pasteurized eggs. I fought for it but gave in eventually so I am interested in seeing if they approve yours. Keep me posted...I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

I just got an email back regarding my renewal. It's 9 pages long and full of things I need to change. Very frustrated right now!

Yes, my SMBC that was approved last year is now "pending approval." I need to up the sugar. I understand the learning curve and having the same standards for everyone. What makes me angry is that I have weddings booked for this summer where I'm supposed to use recipes that I now need to change. It's really unfair for me to have to change recipes for customers that have paid their deposit already under the agreement that I would provide specific flavors.

ShannonDavie Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 5:21am
post #45 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by experimenting 

I just got an email back regarding my renewal. It's 9 pages long and full of things I need to change. Very frustrated right now!

Yes, my SMBC that was approved last year is now "pending approval." I need to up the sugar. I understand the learning curve and having the same standards for everyone. What makes me angry is that I have weddings booked for this summer where I'm supposed to use recipes that I now need to change. It's really unfair for me to have to change recipes for customers that have paid their deposit already under the agreement that I would provide specific flavors.

Oh my gosh I am so sorry! I feel for you. I hate getting that dreaded email. Do they want you to up the sugar to 3:1 ratio?? I couldn't get mine there. What if you just had your current recipes lab tested. Not sure if you have a lot of them but it may be worth it. So frustrating! I got an email as well but I was lucky and it was only a few items that I was able to fix and get passed. Now I just have to do another inspection. Hope it goes better for you. Keep me posted. 

experimenting Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 6:24pm
post #46 of 53

Quote:

Oh my gosh I am so sorry! I feel for you. I hate getting that dreaded email. Do they want you to up the sugar to 3:1 ratio?? I couldn't get mine there. What if you just had your current recipes lab tested. Not sure if you have a lot of them but it may be worth it. So frustrating! I got an email as well but I was lucky and it was only a few items that I was able to fix and get passed. Now I just have to do another inspection. Hope it goes better for you. Keep me posted. 

Yes, they want me to up my sugar to the 3:1 ratio. That's just too much of a change. They said I could get them lab tested, but I chose not to this time. What I did was submit 2 versions of my SMBC recipes. One version has vegan butter instead of butter, and the other version is a completely different vegan SMBC recipe. It looks like those will get approved. I did the same for my ganache and those look like they'll be getting approved as well. I got my second notice last Friday and I submitted the changes yesterday. This time, the list was much shorter and they were more just technical issues rather than problems with my ingredients. So, it looks like I'm almost there! How is your renewal going ShannonDavie?

ShannonDavie Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 6:44pm
post #47 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by experimenting 

Yes, they want me to up my sugar to the 3:1 ratio. That's just too much of a change. They said I could get them lab tested, but I chose not to this time. What I did was submit 2 versions of my SMBC recipes. One version has vegan butter instead of butter, and the other version is a completely different vegan SMBC recipe. It looks like those will get approved. I did the same for my ganache and those look like they'll be getting approved as well. I got my second notice last Friday and I submitted the changes yesterday. This time, the list was much shorter and they were more just technical issues rather than problems with my ingredients. So, it looks like I'm almost there! How is your renewal going ShannonDavie?

Ahh I never thought of vegan butter!! I'm glad you figured something out though and you are almost done! I actually just got the call from the inspector this morning so I should have my inspection and be finished tomorrow! Such a fun process ;)

CakesbyKelsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKelsey Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 7:04pm
post #48 of 53

Hi Ladies! I know this is an old thread but I am just starting the process of my application. I dont have a ton of recipes to submit, probably around 30. Did you guys ever get your SMBC approved? I feel like its nearly a deal breaker if I cant get it approved. I have a few recipes Im trying to adjust to make stable so I can get them approved, any tips you can offer?? Idk why they make it so difficult to do this legally, no wonder so many people dont bother :/

ShannonDavie Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 8:56pm
post #49 of 53

I was never able to get mine approved. I am not renewing this year as I just moved to CA so I am not sure if they have made any changes this year. As far as I know it has to be a 3/1 ratio of sugar to dairy which I could never get my SMBC to. When you do go to submit your recipes I recommend checking everything at least 3 times. I kept getting hung up because I forgot to list if butter was salted and other things that were inconsistent that I would never think would be an issue. Every time you re-submit you have to wait longer so make sure you have it done right when you send it in. I can send you a sample recipe of mine if it helps so you can see how I had to list it out. Good luck to you!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 11:46pm
post #50 of 53

Yes they are very insistent on the 3:1 ratio and I don't know how you could get IMBC or SMBC to that ratio.  When I rented a kitchen that all I used was IMBC but had to make changes so that I could get approved.  It is a grueling process and took me a couple of months of back and forth with recipes and labels.  I'm renewing again this year and just adding a couple more recipes so it won't be as bad as last years initial process.  Good luck to you!

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 10:29am
post #51 of 53

AI am just starting the process. I don't think I M going to submit SMBC this first go round. I'm a little nervous over the whole thing!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 7:06pm
post #52 of 53

It doesn't hurt to submit it.  I did submit my IMBC and it was not approved...like I said they told me 3:1 ratio sugar to butter.  

CakesbyKelsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKelsey Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 7:41am
post #53 of 53

ForJenns-we should keep in touch! I dont have any friends in the cake biz, maybe we can help each other in the process. Im having second thoughts about the CFO though, after seeing how much easier it is in every other state and the $15k cap. Discouraging!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%