BakinWithBarbie Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 5:55pm
post #1 of

Being a full time college student doesn't leave me much money to buy decorating supplies and pastry bags. I recently purchased some and am wondering how much more difficult it will be as compared to piping with a ziplock bag (fill it up... cut off the end)? I'm really excited to start piping properly but I'm definitely nervous. 

16 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 6:00pm
post #2 of

oh you'll do fine

 

you'll have much better control with a nice piping bag

 

in the meantime~~kudos to you for 'doing the best you can with what you have'

 

one of my favorite mantras ;)

IAmPamCakes Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 6:02pm
post #3 of

AJust buy the right bags. On tv and in articles, they say a ziploc is ok, but it will never work properly with tips, and it can be a hassle to use. You can buy disposable bags at like $4 for a dozen, and it's worth it. When I'm feeling cheap, I will rewash those bags for weeks. And when they start looking like they might burst or tear, into the trash they go. No fuss.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 6:33pm
post #4 of

Speaking from my own experience, storage- or freezer-grade zip-top bags work just fine. Sandwich bags are likely to burst; they're too thin.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 6:36pm
post #5 of

Get a 50% off Michaels coupon and go get a washable one, it will cost you maybe $5.

ibeeflower Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 6:59pm
post #6 of

I second the buying with a coupon suggestion. Hobby Lobby has a coupon but I think it's only for 40%. What I like about the pastry bags vs ziploc bags is that my tips don't slide around. I'm probably not doing it correctly though, which is something different. So I just got used to pastry bags.

CWR41 Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 7:33pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinWithBarbie 

wondering how much more difficult it will be as compared to piping with a ziplock bag

Using proper tools for the job isn't more difficult... you'll find it's easier.

Make sure you don't snip off too much of the pastry bag making it unusable.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 8:58pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower 

I second the buying with a coupon suggestion. Hobby Lobby has a coupon but I think it's only for 40%. What I like about the pastry bags vs ziploc bags is that my tips don't slide around. I'm probably not doing it correctly though, which is something different. So I just got used to pastry bags.


Why would they slide around? You are using a coupler, right? Main part of the coupler goes inside the bag, with the small end poking through the open corner, then the tip goes over the bag and the small end, then the nut goes over everything else, trapping the bag in its threads, right? Like this video, showing a disposable piping bag, but a zip-top bag with the corner cut out works exactly the same way. Dunno if parchment or cloth go together any differently; I've only used zip-top bags, and (when there was a party supply only a few blocks from my home) disposable piping bags.

ibeeflower Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 9:14pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 


Why would they slide around? You are using a coupler, right? Main part of the coupler goes inside the bag, with the small end poking through the open corner, then the tip goes over the bag and the small end, then the nut goes over everything else, trapping the bag in its threads, right? Like this video, showing a disposable piping bag, but a zip-top bag with the corner cut out works exactly the same way. Dunno if parchment or cloth go together any differently; I've only used zip-top bags, and (when there was a party supply only a few blocks from my home) disposable piping bags.

I know how a coupler works, I just don't use it when I only need one tip for one type of frosting, and in one color. Personal preference I guess. 

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 12:41am

I've never not used a coupler. Probably because I don't expect the bags I use, whether ordinary zip-top bags or disposable plastic piping bags, to work very well without one. And because I might very well be sharing one tip among several bags of frosting. And probably because the idea of not using one never occurred to me.

 

But if you're using a bag that works without a coupler, then that would be one less thing to wash.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 1:27am

I don't like ziplock bags, because the tip is not centered, it changes how i have to hold it and I always end up with a mess, and even on the best quality ones, I get split seams with stiff frosting.

Izzy Sweet Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 1:37am

They sell the washable wiltons at walmart for a great price..I bought my 18 for under $10

Norasmom Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:38am

Ebay is a great place to get the plastic piping bags.  Made in China, though, not by Wilton in China.  Just made in China.  

BakinWithBarbie Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:41pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't even know I could use tips with the Ziplock bags... I just snipped the end off!! I only used them for cupcakes, but I'll definitely look for those coupons!! 

ddaigle Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:56pm

I bought some piping bags off of ebay....Huge mistake.   I got like a million for $1.99....not really, but it was a lot....for a little.   Almost every one busted at the seam.   They were super, duper thin and cheap.   

caronrichard13 Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 7:04am

Ziplock bags are much more common and more widely available, so while I do use them a lot, a pastry bag really is a better tool when it comes down to it. The reason is that a pastry bag is much thicker than a standard sandwich or freezer bag and has less “give” to it.

rebecca67e Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 10:18am

If I'm lazy and just want to use a ziplock bag (without coupler), I cut the corner, put the tip down there, and then sellotape firmly around it. I've never had one bust, but don't squeeze too hard just in case. I do find the sellotape really helps secure it though and it doesn't slide around.

 

Otherwise, I agree with what others have said.... you could just get a washable pastry bag and that's just one expense over and done with, you can use it as many times as you wish. The only problem is they can be a pain to wash out with the grease.

 

Personally if I were you, I'd just get good disposable ones online. Be careful of the really cheap ones... although I was lucky and mine were cheap but good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%