Cake Tier Question

Decorating By ashleyj Updated 26 Feb 2013 , 4:40am by kakeladi

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 3:06am
post #1 of 2

I've been viewing the gallery for square wedding cakes and I notice several where the bottom tier appears to be double in height. And then the tiers above it look normal size. And I've also seen others where the bottom and top tier are normal height and the middle tier is much taller in height. I like the look of these and was wondering if the "taller" tier is actually 2 tiers the same size stacked and iced on top of each other. Or are they just tall layers baked in 3-in deep pans? I'm anxious to know how this is done and I'm sure one of you out there knows!

Thank You!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 4:40am
post #2 of 2

You can layer as many cakes as you like:)  Just be sure to put any over 4 or 5" tall on another board and support it just as you would a 'tier'.

Personally I would not bake in 3" pans - though some of the gals on here do.  I would stack three 2" tiers.

Be aware that most venues will not have plates big enough to serve those extra tall pieces of cake.  Also, it will *not* change the # of servings unless you make two 4" tiers and tell the server to take it apart & serve as 2 tiers. As an example: you make a 6" tall tier.  It will be served exactly as if it were a 4" tier would be - no extra serving.  Be sure to take this into consideration as you figure your pricing!  You need to get paid for that extra cake even though there are no extra servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%