Help...

Decorating By chocaholikk Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 2:53pm by chocaholikk

chocaholikk Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 6

AHello all yu luvly people! Im very new to cakes and need ur advice..sorry if this sounds so long winded but im not very cake-technical yet lol. Ok..so I made my first cske to order yesterday. It was for a friends son. She wanted a 12" round cake but wsnted the cake layers inside to be 4 different colours. I made 2 12 inch batters and split into 4 tins with 4 colours but the cakes were paper thin...so after a number of attempts I had to make 4 FULL 12" cakes and it cost me more to buy all the ingredients than what she paid me for it and she had more cake than she needed-oops!! How I make the 4 different coloured layers without making the cake too big. I charged £35 for the cake. How much would you charge?

Any help at all will help me tonnes

Thanks in advance xxxx

5 replies
ddaigle Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 6

You need to measure out how may cups of batter your recipe makes.   For example, a double batch of WASC makes about 15 1/2 cups of batter.   A double batch does not make 2 --12" rounds but it may make 4--1" layers which you would want in this case.  Divide the batter into 4 bowls and add coloring and and pour into 4 --12" rounds.  Or if you don't have 4 pans, bake in batches.      I'm not sure if these measurements I have used will work, but hopefully you get the jist of what I am trying to explain.  

chocaholikk Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 6

ASorry what is WASC? I made each layer with 400g butter sugar and flour n 5 eggs.

ddaigle Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 6

WASC is the white almond sour cream cake recipe here on cake central.   You can  use any recipe.   You just need to know how many cups of batter it makes...and how many you need so you can evenly divide it up. 

chocaholikk Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 6

AGreat!! That helps loads. Thank you so much for your help. Much luv x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%