Sweet Grass Cake

Decorating By wvfunchick Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 6:06pm by DeliciousDesserts

wvfunchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wvfunchick Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake to coming up and the bride want's sweet grass on her cake.  I am not 100% sure if it is fake, real or made out of sugar.  Has anyone ever made a cake like this?  Any tips? 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Melissa

4 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 5

I am in the great lakes region, I know Native Americans use it, never saw it in strips just braided bands.

I would be cautious of using the real thing though, maybe you could replicate the strips using fondant.

In the health food store I worked at people used it for incense called smudges.

enga Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 5

I found this on line,( been working on a term paper all night, cant sleep,lol) about sweet grass, so I definitely would caution you about putting it on food.

Coumarin is the chemical responsible for swee tgrass's smell of fresh cut lawns or hay. Coumarin-derivatives may be given to prevent dangerous bloodclots in bedridden patients including those with certain kinds of cancer. Although Coumarin is too toxic to be a safe food additive or herbal tea, it is still a valuable ingredient in perfumes and incense. It is also used to produce rodent poison Warfarin, which kills the animals by causing unstoppable internal hemorrhaging. (The commercial source of Coumarin is the tonka bean tree.)

Beautiful cake by the way.

enga Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 5

http://weddingcakesbyjimsmeal.com/other_cakes.html#

I think its butter cream, Whew!

(Drags blankie and slowly sounders off to bed) HTH

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 5

AI love right here in charleston ...home of the sweetgrass basket.

Jim's cake ( along with Elaine's & Hayden o Ashley Bakery) are piped with the basket tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%