Types Of Paperwork To Give To Customers

Business By TheSugarLab Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 4:44pm by TheSugarLab

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 3:05am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, 

Business is really picking up! We're even in the very early stages of opening our retail store. We do cupcakes, custom cakes, white chocolate macadamia nut popcorn, sugar cookies, and flavored marshmallows. Anyways, since we're getting more and more orders and I've read too many horror stories here, I'm wondering if you have suggestions for types of waivers/invoices/contracts that you give to your customers and/or make them sign. I currently have a contract for weddings and larger orders as well as a outdoor event waiver. What I'm concerned about is smaller cake orders (like under $150) and even my cupcake orders. The largest cupcake order I've filled is 120, which was for a Christmas event. 

The only thing I can think of is a waiver for when people want to pick-up tiered cakes. I've done two pick-ups of three-tiered cakes. Both were successful and even had to drive a while. One from Ventura to Los Angles. I'm just concerned if anything were to happen and someone tried to blame me. 

Do you have everyone sign something regarding your return policy for cake? Do you have one for cupcakes? What about when people are (eventually) just picking up from the retail store? Do you have a return policy posted? My only concern about that is people thinking that someone would need to return things. 

Thanks for any help and sorry for my rambling!

Ali

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 6:10am
post #2 of 4

AEveryone with a custom order (regardless of size) should at the very least sign an invoice that includes your standard disclaimers and confirms that the product they received matches what is on the invoice. An additional disclaimer for customers who pick up tiered cakes is a good idea.

I don't think it's necessary to have a return policy posted, but info on how and when refunds will be issued should be included on the invoice.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 4

imo i think a posting in the shop by the register might be the way to go for orders <$150

"all sales are final" printed on the bottom of the receipt pretty much says it all too--but of course they really are not--you just have that there for those rare ocassions

i mean if the cake tastes like hand sanitizer --or--if it comes to pass that there's no support in a tier cake--left out the strawberry filling--yeah whoops that's back on you, the 1st person--and you would of course respond in kind

people will return things and people will complain regardless of what is printed on invoices and detailed pages long contracts loaded with initials and doomsday scenarios (not that you do that just being dramatic ;)

i mean a waiver is nice but it's a legal given that once an item becomes the possession/property/responsibility of a second individual then the first person is no longer liable

the 'waiver' could be a simple check mark: "i agree that i was informed how to transport this cake to my destination"

sure post a policy or two but when push comes to shove in the < .1% of the cases when this will become a factor you still gotta rely on your own judgement and use your wits

just my little opinion

and multiplied congratulations on your sweet success!!!

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%