New To Cake Decorating, Need Tips Please!

Decorating By marnik8 Updated 24 Feb 2013 , 8:38pm by Izzy Sweet

marnik8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marnik8 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 2

I'm a new cake baker/decorator so wanted to join to get some suggestions and tips for my son's upcoming 2nd bday.  I'm going to make a train cake using a Wilton 3d choo choo train cake mold for the engine followed by a couple cars (using a glass loaf pan) and a caboose.  I'd like to try using fondant for the cars and caboose, but will most likely using buttercream for the engine since a mold will be a challenge to do for a beginning fondant person.  SO I think.

Anyway, my husband will be traveling the week prior to my son's bday and I want to give my self enough time so I'm not stressed juggling son and other household things prior to his party.  I'd like to bake the cakes and freeze them.  How do you suggest I wrap them/store them in freezer and then how long do they need to thaw before doing the crumbcoat and frosting/fondant?  If I decorate the cake the evening before his party (which will be in the late afternoon), will the buttercream and fondant still be at an edible consistency?

I'm ready for tips and pointers!  Please and thank you!

Also how much buttercream and fondant do you think I will need for crumbcoating and decorating?  It wil be the engine, 2 cars (one loaf pan cut into two squares), and one caboose (mini loaf pan).

1 reply
Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 2

Because I am still new at decorated cakes I can offer some help but not all.. You can freeze the cake just make sure you plastic wrap them very good. You can crumb coat right out of freezer, I actually find it easier to do so rather than waiting for thawing.I would make sure when you freeze them you do not have anything in there like tomato sauces or such because the cake might take on that taste.

sorry that is all the help I have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%