Advice On Bakery Location

Business By lesucreaufour Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 3:28am by TheSugarLab

lesucreaufour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesucreaufour Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 4:20am
post #1 of 13

I would love to get some feed back from you guys!!! (i'm french, so i might make a lot of mistakes in my writting icon_redface.gif )

A bakery just opened next to my appartement ( i live in montreal), they don't decorated cakes, they specialize in pies, and they look delicious! They do sell cakes (basic chocolate cake etc), but nothing like my cakes (decorated cakes and cupcakes)

There's a commercial space right next to there's and I would LOVE to rent it (to decorate and sell cake and cupcake).

Do you think it would be rude to rend a space so close to a bakery\pie??? (It really right next to them)

I do not want to steel some business from them...actualy, i would love to ''work'' with them and help them out (not that they need any help but....) Eventualy, i would like to offer the service of sweet tables, and they make beautiful individual pie's, wish would be awesome next to some cake pops and home made marshmallow.

It's a beautiful space and i would love to give it a try....but i wondering if it's rude or not. Maybe i should talk to them first...ask them if they mind???

Thank you

Sandra

12 replies
wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 5:37am
post #2 of 13

why ot would be rude?? this is business field , we see it all the times where 2 shops sell the same stuff where they arenext to each other

I say its ok to rent te space if it suits you

good luck

lesucreaufour Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you Wafawafa

Koccy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Koccy Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 13

Tu n'offres pas le même produit et il semble que tu ne souhaites pas vendre leurs produits. Pour ce qui est d'un espèce de partenariat/bon voisinage, ça dépend toujours de l'autre propio... S'il le prend mal, tu peux avoir des problèmes qui te grugerons de l'énergie.

Peut-être qu'il y a moyen de faire une petite vérification de façon diplomate??? Par contre, je ne peux pas dire comment je m'y prendrais.

(par curiosité, quel coin de Montréal? Je suis complètement dans l'est de l'île) :)

You don't offer the same product and don't want to do that. For a partnership or good neighbour relation, it's dépends of the other owner. If he can't deal with it, it can give you headaches...

Is there a way to have a word about that with him to see the kind of relation it can be?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 13

on one hand it will bring more customers to the area

on the other hand it could be a nightmare if the other owner does not see it that way

maybe they plan to branch out into the decorated world someday?

maybe they will get the idea for sure once they see how successful you are

it's kind of abrupt to do this

if it was me i think i'd locate a distance away

being in business is difficult enough without a built in potential for pitfalls (there can be enough unforeseen ones ;)

but who knows it might be a sweet camaraderie made in patisserie heaven

but this is business and it's clearly dividing the pie and it limits the original business going forward and it limits yours too

what if they want to sell--who wants to buy a bakery next door to a bakery--what if the new owner is not as cool as the first one (if indeed he is cool in the first place)

i would definitely pick a different location if it was me

i would be unhappy if a like minded business located in the same neighborhood as me and especially next door to me

just my thoughts

best of the best to you

lesucreaufour Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:

(par curiosité, quel coin de Montréal? Je suis complètement dans l'est de l'île) :)

Dans le sud-ouest de Montréal icon_smile.gif

lesucreaufour Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 13

That's what i thought...I would be unhappy to if a bakery open next to me...even if it wasn't to sell decorated cakes and cupcakes.

I'm a little made at myself since i saw the commercial space a while back and didn't do anything about it....now it's to late...but i won't stop looking!!!

But, one thing is for sure, it will be in the same neighborhood.

thank you

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 13

It's such a shame because it has the potential to work out very nicely, but also has the risk of going completely the other way. 

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 13

It might work but in my honest opinion why set yourself up for your first problem.That could be a big headache that you set yourself up for. Opening a business is a stressful thing do not give yourself more stress.

lesucreaufour Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 13

I might still talk to them....just to see how they react. It might not be a good reaction...but maybe it will. thank you for all your advice!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 13

keep us posted--hope all goes well

Koccy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Koccy Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 2:16am
post #12 of 13

Go luck! :)

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 3:28am
post #13 of 13

I actually rent a commercial kitchen in the same building as another bakery. We're in an "industrial" area (I use that loosely since its off a busy road) and each unit is individually owned. They have been nothing but friendly, even saying that if we ever needed an egg or butter in a pinch we could. They even called me around Christmas and asked if we had a penguin cookie cutter (we didn't). We overlap slightly (both doing wedding cakes and specialty cakes) but our aesthetic is different. They also do wholesale to local restaurants. So I think as long as you aren't doing the exact same thing, which it doesn't seem like you are, I think you'll be ok. I wish you the best of luck! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%