Hand Painting Royal Icing Covered Cookies

Baking By enga Updated 16 Mar 2013 , 9:05pm by enga

enga Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 9

This is my newest passion,  anyone want share different techniques and ideas?

8 replies
enga Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry I had to take an important call.

I love, love, love hand painting royal icing cookies I think it is a wonderful medium, being edible is one of the perks, and they make wonderful one of a kind gifts.

I first started when CC had a the cookie challenge,  I had never painted on royal icing before, so I scoured the Internet (you tube junkie) for techniques and ideas.  What I found was a cornucopia of sites.  My fave is this site called University of Cookie.  Three little Blackbirds is nice too.

On the University site she shows you the basics, how to make RI, outlining and flooding,  she even gives you a pretty good cookie recipe.  I needed that because when I had made royal icing covered cookies in the past (without researching) my flood icing was either too thick or too thin or full of air bubbles, and in some cases they needed a lot of drying time.

With the painting experience, I had used Lucks gold shimmer airbrush paint and vodka or lemon ext.,for gold gilding on some teacups I made with RI, but it broke it down and made it soft.

On the University site, she used equal parts water to AmeriColor paints, and oh what a difference it made,  it even gave the RI a sheen to it after it dried.

My next project is the embroidery technique,  I think they would make a great Easter gift basket with pretty spring flowers.

Will post pics of my experimenticon_wink.gif

enga Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:28am
post #4 of 9

my first attempt at brush embroidery, can I make a suggestion, invest in good quality brushes,lol.  This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

shanter Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 3:31am
post #5 of 9

Those are gorgeous! I haven't decorated cookies before, but I might try it after seeing yours.

cazza1 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 4:32am
post #6 of 9

Thanks Enga for the web addresses.  I have not done a lot of biscuits but they really interest me.

enga Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:17am
post #7 of 9

Thanks you guys, I want to give you the web sites that I used. She is really good it almost looks like magic the way she decorates cookies, enjoy, I hope you give it a try,lol.

I also I am trying airbrushing so I will give you that one too. These are the cookies I made today after watching the video.

enga Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 8:38am
post #8 of 9

Hello peeps, I am having so much fun, did you know I did my 1000the cake today, and try and try as I may I just love love love tutorials, don't you guys too. Gee golly willergers, I forgot I have to refile my pics they are in such bad order, oh forget it I'd rather take a nap.  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZthumbs_up.gif  Set people up much.

Wow I did a cake in two hours and posted it for all you wonderful CC people to see.   WWWWWWooooow, really? Get a life and get off my pastry bag.

Umma ride this unicorn rainbow bus till the wheels fall off, now go run and google that.

enga Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 9

"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your strength, because there is no work, planning, knowledge, or wisdom in Sheol where you are going."

So I live for today and enjoy the skills that God has given me, to learn, listen, and grow as cake designer by any means necessary, and if that means watching countless videos, reading books, and asking questions, or posting said results, it is my right to do so.  And if you have a problem with that, take it up with him.

In other words live for today and find some joy in life, because when you are dead you cant do any of these things.

You have had your fun, now why don't you just move along, and let me and others that visit this thread enjoy what we do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%