Advice On Dealing With A Previous Co-Worker/client

Business By kvand Updated 23 Feb 2013 , 4:04pm by kvand

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 8:34am
post #1 of 6

Before I joined the wonderful world of caking I worked in a dental office.  One of the girls in the office is getting married and asked if I would do her cake.  I quoted her on her cake and made arrangements for contract signing and deposit.  (typical procedure but a little more lax as she is someone I know and have spent a lot of time with in a previous life).  This was all today.  A few hours later she messages me  saying that her sister in law to be wants to make her cake for her but she doesn't want her to do the actual cake but maybe she can just do a sheet cake to make up servings (her design only feeds 50 but she needs 100 servings).  I want nothing to do with that!!  What if SIL's cake tastes like cardboard or something a cat threw up and I have my name all over the cake.. NO THANKS!!  Here's the question... how do I shoot that **** down without coming across as rude or snotty.....  here's what Ive come up with so far. ...

I completely understand having your sister in law do your cake if she can handle it.  Please understand that without a confirmed booking I can't hold your date for you should I have other inquiries.  Also, it would be unwise as a business to provide only part of the cake as I have no idea of the quality of your sister in law's work.  I hope you can understand this as well.  Please let me know when you have made your decision.

Suggestions anyone?? Am I being dumb here?

Thanks!!

5 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 6

I think your answer is fine.  The only thing I would change is to give her an actual deadline as to when you need to know.  Otherwise, 2 days before the wedding she may come crying to you to do the cake and then be upset when you turn her down.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

I think your answer is fine.  The only thing I would change is to give her an actual deadline as to when you need to know.  Otherwise, 2 days before the wedding she may come crying to you to do the cake and then be upset when you turn her down.

EXACTLY!

This happened to me when my cousin needed a wedding cake.  I have another family member who just started doing cakes and offered as well. My bride cousin decided to give her a chance and let me just enjoy the wedding because I do everyones wedding cake in the family.

I get a frantic call the friday afternoon before the wedding asking me to make the cake because my other cousin couldn't " figure out the fondant ".

Putting in writing that you need confirmation by a certain date is very wise, and if you get a frantic call hours before the wedding , you are already bookedshhh.gif

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the other posters. Could her SIL not make a groom's cake and you still make the wedding cake? I realize people might still think the same person made both, but isn't that unusual to have them made by different people, especially at a small wedding. The difference in quality may speak for itself on that.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 6

AYou could use liability as an excuse as well.

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much everyone! Good point about setting a deadline! I'll be sure to add that and Jason, I love the liability angle. You are a clever dude! Thank you much! 

Oh ya, and even if I was not fully booked for her wedding and she called me right before panicking I would absolutely be "booked". 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%