tiredmomdm Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 5:42am

my cakes never seem to rise high like most of the videos I see. Their cakes seem to rise to the top of the pan and a dome over that.    Sometimes I get a dome but then it sinks. I;m not using large pans they are 8 - 10" wilton pans    what am I doing wrong?

8 replies
shanter Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 6:12am

Is your baking powder and/or baking soda fresh? They do deteriorate over time.

remnant3333 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 2:47pm

Are you using cake mixes or from scratch? also as Shanter has said make sure your baking powder and baking soda are not too old.  

tiredmomdm Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 8:52pm

No I check both of them all the time.  I use both mixes and scratch. Do I fill the pans 1/2 full or 3/4 full?  Some tutorials and books say one thing then another. When you make a normal layer cake how high do your layers get.

remnant3333 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 9:50pm

I normally do about 2/3 full. How much do other people here fill up their pans?

SPCOhio Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 3:34am

AThe batter I'm using determines whether I fill 1/2 full or 2/3 full. Some rise more than others. What has given me the most predictable, even results has been the using of bake even strips and a metal flower nail in the middle of the cakes. I believe if the cake sinks in the middle upon removing from the oven, your centers are not fully baked. If you aren't using a heating core of some sort, give that a shot.

Ducky316 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 11:27am

This is gonna sound like a weird question, but how clean is your oven? Seriously, a dirty ocen can wreak havoc on a cake!

NJsugarmama Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 2:14pm

A

Original message sent by Ducky316

This is gonna sound like a weird question, but how clean is your oven? Seriously, a dirty ocen can wreak havoc on a cake!

I had no idea...eeek! I was waiting until it gets warmer out so u can open my windows while the oven cleans.

Annne30 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 4:16am

This has happended to me in the past... My problem was my oven. My oven was reading 350 degrees but when I bought a oven thermometer to verify my oven,

I had to set my oven at 365 to reach an actual tempature of 350 degrees.

Hope this was helpfull. Good luck!

Quote by %username% on %date%

%body%