catlharper Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:29am
post #1 of

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's around tonight? What are you working on? Any photos to share???

Cat

42 replies
catlharper Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:32am
post #2 of

Hello everyone!

Sorry about last week! I was out of town working an event so I found out, enroute, that I didn't actually have internet access! Whoops! Hope everyone had a great week. You can find the cake I did in my albums under "Tory's Favorite Things Birthday Cake". 

This week is Oscars and I'm making my sisters Lemon Sunshine Cake. It's a take on a "poke" cake and is so good I could eat it up by myself...thus why I'm making it for a crowd! LOL! Nothing else this week. I start work next week on pieces for a baby shower cake due the 10th so not terribly busy but still working.

How is everyone? Hope to see lots of photos this week!

Cat

cazza1 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:36am
post #3 of

Got some new leaf cutters from GSA (hydranger, monstera, poppy and daisy) which arrived yesterday so might have a play with some green paste.

crustdust Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:40am
post #4 of

AHi :) It's my first week on this board and I made 3 cakes so far. I really enjoy working with Fondant. Today I made a "Muddy Pigs" cake. Nothing exciting but I think it's cute [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2929515/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

catlharper Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:47am
post #5 of

Cazza...I just love experimenting! Fun to work with new equipment!

Crustdust: Welcome! I saw a variation of the muddy pig cake this week and fell in love. We may do our own version for next Easter...too cute! What I like about your version is that your frosting looks more like mud than the smooth ganache version I saw. Just adorable!

Cat

crustdust Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:51am
post #6 of

AThanks Cat :) Someone posted the pig cake on my FB wall and thought I couldn't recreate it. Ha! I sure did

Brettley Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:57am
post #7 of

Hello everyone,

Another busy weekend for me. I have 2 John Deere cakes on the go; 2 tier 75th birthday and a small 3D tractor, 1 year smash cake for tomorrow. Sunday I have a Toy Story cake and cupcakes as well as a 2 tier ruffle/zebra cake. I thought this time of year it would slow down a bit, but I do not see any end in sight! Which is great.

Crustdust: That pig cake is adorable!! My daughter would love that.

crustdust Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:01am
post #8 of

AThanks Brettley. I have a questions - what's a 1 year smash cake?

catlharper Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:09am
post #9 of

Brettley,

I love Smash Cakes! We do them in our family until the kid is old enough to not spit on the cake while blowing out the candle! LOL! I have a zebra cake coming up later this year...gonna be interesting! LOL!  Sounds like you are just the opposite of most of us...dancing as fast as you can while we take a bit of a break! That's wonderful!

Can't wait to see more photos!

Cat

cazza1 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:16am

Crustdust your pig cake looks soooooooo appetising that I think I will recreate it too.  Who ever would have thought that I would be wanting to eat mud again at my age!

kikiandkyle Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:30am

I'm doing a 3 tier UNO themed cake, just finished stacking it and now have to get started on the decorations. 

Crustdust a smash cake is a small cake given to the birthday boy or girl on their first birthday, that they are supposed to destroy and cover themselves with and hopefully also eat a little of. It's traditionally the baby's first taste of cake. It's a very American thing, I don't know if too many other countries do it. 

Which reminds me, I have to frost the smash cake for tomorrow too. White ABC with a few fondant accents I think. 

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 5:59am

A

Original message sent by crustdust

Hi :) It's my first week on this board and I made 3 cakes so far. I really enjoy working with Fondant. Today I made a "Muddy Pigs" cake. Nothing exciting but I think it's cute [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2929515/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

That is the cutest thing I have ever seen today ;-)

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 6:04am

AI have a Monster High I am doing for my daughters 9th birthday, it will be just a single 8" layer, and a 2 layer 6" on top. It will have a colorful ruffle "skirt" and either a laced up bodice effect or a hand painter sugar skull, monster highesque :-D

Then a simple 3 tier with white and pink tiers, with silver piping. And 60 matching cupcakes.

And a 13" aquarium (laying down) with bubble guppies in it :-) with simple cupcake smash cake.

catlharper Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 6:10am

Anna, the Bubbleguppies cake would be a HUGE deal in our family! Please do post a photo when you have one!

Cat

Brettley Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 6:16am

Oh my goodness Annabakescakes, I thought I was busy!! I love your work and I hope I catch the pictures you post.

Cat: I thought this time of year would be slow..... not the case apparently. I love smash cakes! I run an on-going promo with a few photographers in my area so I usually have a 1-2 a week. Super easy and the pictures never get old! I always look forward to seeing the disaster the kids make.

Crustdust: If you google smash cake you will get lots of images. It's just a small cake or giant cupcake for 1 year olds to make a huge mess out of. Usually when parents order the first birthday cake there is always a smash cake along with the order. Lots of parents do photoshoots as well around here.

Studio Cupcake Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 6:37am

AI'm not totally new but I've always lurked. Just finished baking 6 dozen tropical cupcakes and 3 8in rounds. Finished decorating a ruffle cake (my first one!) that was super fun and I can't wait to do more! I love seeing what you all are doing!! Annabakes I would love to see the monster high cake! My daughter is obsessed!

catlharper Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 6:46am

Studio Cupcake...what are "tropical cupcakes"? Sounds intriguing!

Studio Cupcake Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:04am

its a twist on pina colada cake. i had alot of clients asking for pc cake but didnt like the coconut and pineapple in the cake. its super light and summery and my most requested cake :)

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:34am

A

Original message sent by Studio Cupcake

I'm not totally new but I've always lurked. Just finished baking 6 dozen tropical cupcakes and 3 8in rounds. Finished decorating a ruffle cake (my first one!) that was super fun and I can't wait to do more! I love seeing what you all are doing!! Annabakes I would love to see the monster high cake! My daughter is obsessed!

My daughter, husband (yes!) and I are all SO obsessed with MH! They suit DH and me to a "T" because we were the dark and gloomy, punks/headbangers, in HS. He is 38 and still a sk8r punk, while I have cleaned up once I became a mom, lol. And we both loved skulls and got tattoos before it was cool ;-)

And we did MH for her birthday last year too! When I suggested it this year, because my DH had been looking at the new dolls in WM and couldn't believe how cute they were, she squealed like a little pig, haha!

kikiandkyle Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:35am

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2929635/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Here's the almost finished UNO cake, the topper that will go on tomorrow is what makes it UNO!

Ducky316 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:38am

I did this tonight for a little girls birthday tomorrow

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:57am

A

Original message sent by catlharper

Anna, the Bubbleguppies cake would be a HUGE deal in our family! Please do post a photo when you have one!

Cat

It is just going to be a quickie, with edible images, but it will still be cute, of course, with the bubble guppies on it! I have never see the show, but I think they are cute as can be!

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 7:58am

AI love the bright colors in both those cakes!!! Well done, Y'all!

milkmonkey Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 10:26am
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustdust 

Hi icon_smile.gif It's my first week on this board and I made 3 cakes so far. I really enjoy working with Fondant. Today I made a "Muddy Pigs" cake. Nothing exciting but I think it's cute

How amazing...... I made one of these tonight..... 

crustdust Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:51pm

AGood Morning, sounds like everyone is/was busy this weekend so far :) I just made a batch of Fondant and now I am debating what I should do with it. I have a small 4" cake in the fridge to play with

decie Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:39pm

Good Morning, you are right Crustdust I believe everyone is busy. I am in the process of finishing off 48 cupcakes and 1 kit kat cake for a birthday party. I am very interested in the Muddy Pigs Cake, would love the directions on how it was made. I will try and post the pics of the finished cakes along with a few others. I'm not very good at getting my pics to load. Well have a blessed one and keep on cake-ing.

Norasmom Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:59pm

I am not making cakes, i am making sugar eggs, so excited, they come out so pretty!

crustdust Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:01pm

AI will post directions later today :)

What exactly are sugar eggs?

kikiandkyle Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:04pm

I love those kitkat cakes, and the pigs are so cute!

Norasmom Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 5:10pm

APanoramic sugar eggs...they are eggs made of sugar with a little peephole and an Easter scene inside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%