Accidentally Used Salted Butter...fix?

Decorating By SPCOhio Updated 22 Feb 2013 , 6:22pm by hbquikcomjamesl

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:09am
post #1 of 16

AI can't believe I did this, but I accidentally picked up salted butter tonight and proceeded to make an enrirnbatch of SMBC with it. Any ideas on how to save this batch? Maybe adding powdered sugar will cut the sweetness?

15 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:11am
post #2 of 16

adding powdered sugar will only give you soup. you can try to add more vanilla, but you're not going to be able to get rid of the saltiness altogether. i made a choc IMBC for a regular customer once and accidentally used salted. he complained about the flavor and i never saw him again. i only realized my mistake later. 

SPCOhio Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:21am
post #3 of 16

AThanks. I don't think it is salvageable. Extra vanilla did not do much to cut the salt. Maybe I can save it by mixing it with other (multiple) batches of unsalted SMBC but man that does not help me tonight! Thanks again!:)

ellavanilla Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:23am
post #4 of 16

save it for cookie filling for the kids. salt is such a powerful taste, i don't think you're going to want it anywhere near a fresh batch. 

kakesalakim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesalakim Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:32am
post #5 of 16

AWhat is SMBC and IMBC?

ellavanilla Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:38am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesalakim 

What is SMBC and IMBC?

SMBC= Swiss Meringue Butter Cream

IMBC = Italian Meringue Butter Cream

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 3:34am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCOhio 

Thanks. I don't think it is salvageable. Extra vanilla did not do much to cut the salt. Maybe I can save it by mixing it with other (multiple) batches of unsalted SMBC but man that does not help me tonight! Thanks again!icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 3:41am
post #8 of 16

AI have used salted butter in Swiss Buttercream before - I just turned it in Salted Caramel Buttercream (added a cup or so of caramel sauce to it)

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:23am
post #9 of 16

I have done it before and could not bring myself to throwing it out, so I added peanut butter to it. and used it in a chunky  monkey cakeicon_wink.gif

SPCOhio Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:38am
post #10 of 16

ACrustdust, I actually thought of that but I have so much on my caking plate today and tomorrow that I couldn't even go there. I ended up dumping a beautiful but salty batch down the sink. I even though about mixing it with ABC but just didnt have the wherewithal tonight lol. But it's info stored away for another day for sure!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:56am
post #11 of 16

AMaybe I'm disgusting, but I kind of prefer my SMBC with salted butter lol

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:50am
post #12 of 16

I use salted butter for one of my four sticks. The reviews so far have been positive. 

SPCOhio Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 16

AI usually do throw a little over a pinch of salt into my SMBC and I like that just fine. I think using one salted stick in my recipe would probably be the equivalent of this pinch+ but 6 sticks of salted butter with the pinch+ was definitely too salty. I won't be making that $7 mistake again!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 16

I only make dense, non-whipped, cold-process American BC ("the recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before most of us were born," hand-mixed with a dinner fork) myself, so I have exactly zero experience with SMBC or IMBC, but I do know that I've never used anything but salted butter in my BC (indeed, the only thing I usually use unsalted butter for is turkey dressing, sauteing the onions and celery in a 50-50 mix of unsalted butter and salted margarine).

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I only make dense, non-whipped, cold-process American BC ("the recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before most of us were born," hand-mixed with a dinner fork) myself, so I have exactly zero experience with SMBC or IMBC, but I do know that I've never used anything but salted butter in my BC (indeed, the only thing I usually use unsalted butter for is turkey dressing, sauteing the onions and celery in a 50-50 mix of unsalted butter and salted margarine).

I don't do the american buttercream, but still a dense one with granulated sugar and butter and I also always use salted, I actually did two batches and forced all my poor friends and family that I could find to taste it, and everyone chose the salted.

In the SMBC though, the salt is really obvious, it surprised me, I thought the sugar would cut it more.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 16

As I recall, in "The Icing Man Cometh," Alton Brown spent half a Good Eats episode making IMBC, identifying it as simply "buttercream," and I suspect I wasn't the only one he confused the Hell out of. (He spent the other half using it, including a method of leveling and splitting a layer that involved 2 sticks and what appears to be a bow-saw blade.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%