cakechic87 Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 1:07pm
post #1 of

How do you get your fondant cakes so wet/shiny/glossy looking? I've covered a lot of cakes, but mine never look shiny like that. I've used a paint brush with water to wet the whole cake before (to do zebra stripes), but it looks streaky & it eventually dries.

How do they get that wet look? Are they using water or shortening? Or something else?

10 replies
leah_s Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 1:28pm
post #2 of

ASteam

JWinslow Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 4:50pm
post #3 of

A clothes steamer works well.  Just hold it far enough away in case it spits.

waggs Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 6:08pm
post #4 of

Does it stay shiny?  I tried that once and after a few hours the shine went away.

JWinslow Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 8:48pm
post #5 of

It will dry after a few hours and the shine will dull. 

ShannonDavie Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 10:05pm
post #6 of

I made a jellyfish cake recently (for fun) that I wanted to look shiny so I rubbed it with vegetable shortening. It worked pretty well and the shine stayed but it kinda made me not want to eat the fondant! I have also seen a cake recently that had a very shiny apple on the top of it. I have never tried it but she got it so shiny by using mirror glaze from this site. http://pastryportal.com/glazes-sauces-c-20/glazes-c-20_72/mirror-glaze-p-243.html#.USaZTkqDTu0

PatrysV Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 12:04pm
post #7 of

I mix gum arabic with water and then paint the cake with it (thinly). It stays shiny, even when it dries.

bakeadream Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 6:02am
post #8 of

AHey PatrysV... whats gum arabic.? Thanks

ApplegumPam Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 9:14am
post #9 of

Liquid Glucose (or corn syrup) thinned down with vodka - paint it on - it doesn't stay tacky but the shine stays...... unlike STEAM which once the condensation has evaporated - no shine!  

JWinslow Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 1:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

Liquid Glucose (or corn syrup) thinned down with vodka - paint it on - it doesn't stay tacky but the shine stays...... unlike STEAM which once the condensation has evaporated - no shine!  

Thanks for the tip :)

anavillatoro1 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 1:37pm

AI just use vodka

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%