Tier Sizes

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 28 Aug 2013 , 11:07pm by paulstonia

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:27am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I would say the tops are 7" and 10" tapered down to a 6" and a 9" 

So sorry, I totally forgot to come back to this!  I just hunted down the original order form and you were close, it was cut from an 8 and an 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia 

I don't have guess but what an adorable cake!

Thank you! It was long time ago icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 5:28am
post #32 of 39

Ok ladies, so one more question on this cake. The cake was originally for 150. And the customer was fine with the price, now it's for 300 (well 296 to be exact, close as I can get) and of course the price is now double and the price is above her budget. I know I'm under charging per serving, I mean it's a 6 tiered carved cake besides putting on all those pearls! Just out of curiosity what would you charge per serving? I know we're from different areas so not an accurate comparison, just curious.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 6:07am
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia 

Ok ladies, so one more question on this cake. The cake was originally for 150. And the customer was fine with the price, now it's for 300 (well 296 to be exact, close as I can get) and of course the price is now double and the price is above her budget. I know I'm under charging per serving, I mean it's a 6 tiered carved cake besides putting on all those pearls! Just out of curiosity what would you charge per serving? I know we're from different areas so not an accurate comparison, just curious.

Do an extra tier, and do 3 10" cakes, filled and iced, no fondant, to be served from the back. I would charge $6 a serving for that cake, and it would be too little, but where I live, it would be all I could get. I charge $2.25 for my kitchen cakes. 

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 7:45am
post #34 of 39

AHi guys, I love the tapered cakes, I have never attempted one, just wondering the following things: 1. Do you cut them by eye and if so is there a knack to this? 2. Are there any special tips for getting the fondant on so it doesn't fold into itself at the bottom?

Lovely stuff, I adore this website I have learnt so much x x

Annabakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:04pm
post #35 of 39

It is easier to taper if your cake is upside down, and you just free hand it. I suppose how good they come out is akin to how good your "eye" is, while you are carving. I have seen some PERFECT, sharp looking tapers, that I am in awe of, but I don't know of any other way to get them the proper shape. 

CakeChemistry Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:16pm
post #36 of 39

ASounds difficult! I might have a go for fun next week as I don't have anything else on!

Annabakescakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 6:32pm
post #37 of 39

AYou should cover in ganache too, since it provides the support to hold the cake together at the top edge. Gravity is a heck of force!

CakeChemistry Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 8:03pm
post #38 of 39

AIt's funny you should say that because tonight I have very successfully ganached my first cake. I grew up learning from my mum who always used bc. Most of my cakes to date have involved heavy decoration so even though I have achieved good fondant finishes pre decoration in most part I have used my decs to cover a bulge a fair few times. I watched so many videos on making dams etc and improved and improved but then I watched these fab videos by an Aussie lady on YouTube called 'inspired by Michelle' on ganaching a cake pre fondant. Now mine doesn't look anything as good as hers but I am so pleased with the results, and I can't wait to try some of the designs where you 'can't hide' I.e hand painting directly on the fondant etc (depending on how well my fondant goes and I don't stick my fingers in it after all the hard work ganaching!). Thanks for your help ladies x x x

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:07pm
post #39 of 39

To carve it, you can turn it upside down and use a smaller cake board (if its an 8" use a 6" board) as a guide while you are carving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%