Help With This Technique Please

Decorating By lovelindy Updated 20 May 2013 , 1:02am by ktsurvivor

lovelindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelindy Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to do the technique on the bottom teir of this cake please, or direct me to a tutorial which might help. thanks, Lindy

9 replies
cookiecoutureUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecoutureUK Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 10

Hi there you get strips of fondant or 50/50 and run through pasta machine, fold in half and stick down continuously rapping the loops around loosely, using fingers in the middle fold, it's quite tricky. Takes a lot of propping with sponge/tissue too. I have a cake with this technique in my profile. Good luck!

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 10

Sharon Wee (google her) has a good tutorial for purchase.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecoutureUK 

Hi there you get strips of fondant or 50/50 and run through pasta machine, fold in half and stick down continuously rapping the loops around loosely, using fingers in the middle fold, it's quite tricky. Takes a lot of propping with sponge/tissue too. I have a cake with this technique in my profile. Good luck!

Wow!!! Your fondant ruffles wedding cake is stunning!  I can't even imagine how "tricky" that would be to get all those wrapped and propped with tissue. I'm pretty sure I'd get frustrated and want to pound the whole thing to smithereens.

lovelindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelindy Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 8:48am
post #5 of 10

Thankyou so much.... I hope Im having a 'good day' when I try this technique LOL

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 8:53am
post #6 of 10

AHow are the impressions on the other tiers made? I love the look, very 'Caketress'! I imagine it's something pressed gently into the sides while the fondant is still pliable, I just don't know what you would use to make the impressions curve around the cake...or what exactly you call it. Any ideas/tips would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Sugargourmande1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugargourmande1 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 9:58am
post #7 of 10

If you have Facebook, have a look at Nana&Nana Cakes ... she has a superb tutorial in her albums and FREE too ... It's gone into my 'Next on the list' to try ;)  Here's the link ... Hope it helps and good luck x

https://www.facebook.com/NanaeNana.CakeDesign?fref=ts

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 10:51am
post #8 of 10

AThe indentations are done with a Dresden tool or similar - while the fondant is still pliable.

I did a base tier similar to this (most recent in my photos here on CC). I do it slightly differently than described above, I use thin strips of fondant, then ball one edge to ripple it, then stick the other side down a few millimetres, fold the strip towards me and work from the inside-out as I create the rosette.

Hope this helps!

ktsurvivor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktsurvivor Posted 20 May 2013 , 12:58am
post #9 of 10

AAmazing would love to see u do a video of this technique.

ktsurvivor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktsurvivor Posted 20 May 2013 , 1:02am
post #10 of 10

ADo u have a facebook page?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%