Getting My Pink Fondant To Go Red??

Decorating By jolleys136 Updated 20 Feb 2013 , 5:52pm by kikiandkyle

jolleys136 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolleys136 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 9

Hi

I just made a batch of MMF that I used a full 1 oz bottle of Wilton red food coloring paste and it is just a dark pink.  Is there colors that I can add to get it to go a dark red besides buying Americolor, that is on my list of stuff to get.  I need to get red for a cake this weekend and no local place sells Americolor.

Thanks

Brandon

8 replies
evesa1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesa1129 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 9

adding a dark purple will give you a maroon color, I don't know if this helps. Good luck!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 12:01am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolleys136 

Hi

I just made a batch of MMF that I used a full 1 oz bottle of Wilton red food coloring paste and it is just a dark pink.  Is there colors that I can add to get it to go a dark red besides buying Americolor, that is on my list of stuff to get.  I need to get red for a cake this weekend and no local place sells Americolor.

Thanks

Brandon

is there a Hobby Lobby in you area? If I'm out and in a pinch I buy my Americolor from there...I'm not sure if Michael's carries Americolor. I had pink fondant and I added a little too much red and it turned a beautiful red. Oops for me, but I was just experimenting to make some practice flowers.

Do you have any cake supply stores in your area? Powdered food coloring is also really good.

evesa1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesa1129 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 12:05am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower 
Powdered food coloring is also really good.

I agree powdered food coloring could save you

jolleys136 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolleys136 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 12:28am
post #5 of 9

I have a Michael's that is 45 min away and that is it.  I checked Walmart and they didn't have it, just Wilton.  No hobby lobby or anything else good like that.

thanks for all the information and help.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 2:34am
post #6 of 9

Any chance of a Sur La Table? Can you spring for 1-day shipping from Amazon? There's an eBay seller called TomsAnn that may do next day for you if you ask. 

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 7:30am
post #7 of 9

I always start out using strawberry marshmallows when making red fondant. After the marshmallows are melted, I add the red. Once I get it to the color I want, or close to it I add the PS. To make black fondant, I start with chocolate marshmallows. By doing it this way, I'm not using as much coloring.

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 9

I usually start with a chocolate base to get a deep red and it works great for me and I don't use tons of food coloring. I've also heard of some people adding the unsweetened cherry kool- aid mixes to the melted marshmallows. Knead in red food coloring after it sets up to get the exact shade of red you need.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%