Substitute For Mccormick French Vanilla Blend

Decorating By madicakes Updated 28 Apr 2016 , 4:57pm by daltonam

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 23

I used to always use this in my frosting, and it was divine!  Everyone loved it.  Well, they don't sell it anymore :(  Does anyone have a substitute that is very similar?  I have tried french vanilla creamer, coffee syrup, other french vanilla flavorings, and none of them are even close in taste!

22 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 23

LorAnn Oils makes a French Vanilla Flavoring ~ It is in their Flavor Fountain Line ~

https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8982-french-vanilla-flavor-fountain.aspx

You could try that...

Or maybe a mix of that and a good quality vanilla itself would come close...

I never bought the french vanilla from mccormick... 

BCBakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCBakey Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 23

Try Watkins Vanilla Nut!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 23

I don't think Vanilla Nut is close to the same, but I also don't know (but, would you have to worry about anyone with allergies??)

McCormick French Vanilla Blend is all I've ever used too....I bought the last bottle my local small grocery store had last month, looks like I'm wondering the same thing the OP is????  Anyone????

Madicakes did you try any of these or find anything?

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 23

Has anyone contacted McCormick's to see why they've discontinued, or maybe it's available online?

daltonam Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 23

AAs I was trying to do that my computer froze. I'm going to try again later today.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 23

AThank you for trying, not available at any links.

laura894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura894 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 23

AI too was using the French Vanilla Blend. I've found if you use Watkins Caramel flavor mixed with Wilton Vanilla that its almost an exact replica of the FVB. The only problem I don't care for is the FVB never altered the color of my buttercream whereas the Caramel flavoring does a little. For a full batch of buttercream I use 2 capfuls of Caramel - 2 Capfuls of Vanilla. Use the clear Wilton Vanilla as the darker vanilla will tint it even more.

laura894 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 23

AGerie, I contacted McCormick because we were using about 500 bottles a year & I was told it was too expensive for them to keep on the shelf. They wanted to sell me a bulk supply of it but it was a supply that would've lasted me 5 yrs & would've cost me $13,000 up front

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 23

I know!  It's ridiculous!  I looked at the site and saw their pricing and figured they were nuts!  Who could afford that cost?!?!!  Even a large business would be hard pressed to afford THAT cost!  Too bad some other company doesn't come up with the flavor for a much more reasonable price.  Or maybe some of the home made vanilla makers (I'm one, but not scientifically inclined!) can come up with a recipe for it.

laura894 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 23

AI had a company send me a sample of their French Vanilla & it was horrible.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 23

If somebody has the box or bottle of discontinued French Vanilla, please taks pics and post them.

My guess is that this was a blend of Tahitian and Bourbon beans--easy  to do. 

I have been using the LorAnn vanilla EXTRACTS (not oils) and their Tahitian 2x is really good with some Bourbon vanilla added about 1+1. 

laura894 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 23

A@bakingirene no, its caramel flavor & vanilla. See my post above. I've found a way to duplicate. I also use LorAnn oils but McCormick's FVB had a special flavor to it that no one else has.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 23

OK so I see that LorAnn has a natural "creamy caramel"  flavour.  Hard to tell how dark it will make your icing, but this seems to be the only "natural" caramel flavour that might imitate the McCormick blend.

I have the LorAnn "creamy" hazelnut and there is no cream in the taste, just a very smooth hazelnut flavour that makes a good addition to ground nuts in batter and dough.

McCormick has gotten rid of other good extracts before, I guess because they don't move enough of them in a year.  I have found LorAnn to be just as good tasting and more cost effective because they are more concentrated.

daltonam Posted 9 May 2013 , 9:40am
post #16 of 23

ASo glad I finally have something to work with. Thank you do very much! I'm going to give it a try.

daltonam Posted 9 May 2013 , 9:42am
post #17 of 23

A

Original message sent by laura894

I had a company send me a sample of their French Vanilla & it was horrible.

Which company?

jackie j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie j Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 8:44pm
post #18 of 23

I have used french vanilla in my cakes for many- many years.  McCormick discontinued it as well as Tones brand.  I have tried to "doctor" up flavorings to get it it to taste the same.  In my white cakes, normally I would add about 2 1/2tsp of french vanilla to 2 cake mixes.  I have found that about 2 1/4 tsp of pure vanilla with 1 1/2 tsp clear vanilla  to 3 mixes tastes similar.  Sometimes I might add a bit more clear vanilla to taste.  I have had to add an extra mix thanks to Pillsbury shortening the amount in their boxes.  This does taste similar, but the problem I have found is that after a few day, you can smell a strong smell of the stronger vanilla.  Normally the french vanilla cake could last a week and still taste amazing and be moist.  My new way has to be eaten within a couple days. I really wish McCormick and Tones would bring it back!  I don't know how they didn't sell it enough.  I alone would buy about 20 bottles monthly!  

MBacon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBacon Posted 9 May 2014 , 9:58am
post #19 of 23

Stumbled across this on a google search trying to find out about this awesome flavor has anyone else had any better matches yet? i personally used it in my cheesecakes that i would make for fam//friend gatherings (that and i just love cheesecake) wish there was more notice before it vanished would of stocked up

BlueBerryBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBerryBaker Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 12:41am
post #20 of 23

So glad I saved this bottle!  I still have about 1 TBS of it left.  With that being said, I set out to create a duplicate.  The one duplicate recipe that was posted by Laura is not as close as the one I came up with. And, since I happen to still have some of the "original" my recipe is spot on!  I had to make 3 different batches and the last "blend" was perfect!  So glad I perfected it!   My recipe smells even better than McCormicks.   Enjoy!

McCormick French Vanilla Blend - An original copycat recipe by Angie Schaeffer

2 1/4 tsp Wilton's imitation clear vanilla extract 

1/4 tsp Watkins imitation caramel flavor

1/4 tsp real vanilla extract (I make mine homemade using a bottle of vodka and about 10 whole vanilla beans - let steep for 2 months)

TrishaLC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrishaLC Posted 25 Dec 2015 , 5:49am
post #21 of 23

BlueBerryBaker-I cannot wait to try your French vanilla extract!  I've held onto an old bottle for awhile hoping I might find some to no avail.  I use not only in homemade whipped cream but also in was my secret ingredient in my chocolate chip cookies.

ijust have a couple questions-the total amount of the mixture in your recipe-is that for a cake?  Total, it's a bit more than I've ever used in my baking.

and how big was your bottle of vodka?  I've never made my own vanilla extract but I've wanted to for a year or so now.

thank you so much!

BlueBerryBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBerryBaker Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 3:23am
post #22 of 23

Hi TrishaLC,

My homemade vanilla is made two ways.  I make the first out of a 5th of Vodka and the other using a 5th of Rum (not spiced or white).  I use the vodka vanilla for basic cake type recipes, where I want a neutral vanilla flavor.  I use the rum vanilla for a more caramel type flavor - think of brownies, chocolate chip cookies etc.  If you want to make a big batch, to have on hand - here you go. Enjoy!

9 tsp Wilton's imitation clear vanilla extract

1 1/4 tsp Watkins Caramel extract

1 1/4 tsp real vanilla extract (homemade or store bought)

Use as you would for any recipe (I always double the amount of vanilla - just a personal preference)  The homemade vanilla is really good!  I've used the same beans (I get mine from Costco) for over 3 years having refilled my bottle (s) 3 times now.  This is probably the last batch using these beans.  But, don't throw them away!  You can dry them out  and turn them into vanilla powder by and using a coffee grinder or toss them into your sugar canister for vanilla scented sugar.  

*Last edited by BlueBerryBaker on 28 Dec 2015 , 3:35am
daltonam Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 4:57pm
post #23 of 23

Quote by @BlueBerryBaker on 27 Dec 2015 , 10:23pm

9 tsp Wilton's imitation clear vanilla extract

1 1/4 tsp Watkins Caramel extract

1 1/4 tsp real vanilla extract (homemade or store bought)

Do you still use this recipe and is there a reason the recipe isn't exactly multiplied by 5?  I guess I'm asking if when you make a bigger recipe is that too much clear vanilla and that's the reason why you didn't actually put as much as the original recipe would have.  Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%