California Cottage Food Act?????

Business By ladicakes Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 4:04am by jason_kraft

ladicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladicakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Everyone I would really appreciate your help!! I want to start expanding my cake business but I want to do it the right way. I am not sure about the new law that just passed this January here in California. Do I need a license??? A permit??? how much will this cost me?? I make cakes at home and work alone. I just want to know what I am getting into before I take my next step. I appreciate any ones help thanks!

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 8

AThe best place to start is your county's dept of health, they will be able to tell you what you need to do to get a permit and how much it will cost. You will also probably need a business license from your city, and business liability insurance is highly recommended.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:32am
post #3 of 8

Here's your start

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/pages/fdbcottagefood.aspx

you need to contact the county in which you live, you make your application through those offices. The cost will also depend on your county fees, and you will have to take a food handler's course.

i just got mine. feel free to message me if you have any questions. 

jen

Sandiego Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandiego Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 8

You can get alot of information at www.sdcottagefoods.com  Some of the information is specific to San Diego County but much of it applies statewide!    icon_smile.gif

Sandiego Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandiego Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 8

You can get alot of information here www.sdcottagefoods.com   Some of it is specific to San Diego County but much of it is applicable statewide. 

icon_smile.gif

ladicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladicakes Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks a lot I found out a lot of info on the sites. Thanks

loverlyflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loverlyflower Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 4:01am
post #7 of 8

AOverall, how much does it cost to get all the permits, inspection, etc? Would like to do this from home, but I can't figure out what the total cost is for when we move.

Thanks

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 4:04am
post #8 of 8

AYou'll probably want to budget at least $1000 for startup costs (not including building your initial inventory of ingredients).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%