Adding Flavored Gelatain To Cake Mix? Yay Or Nay?

Baking By BrooksieCakes Updated 19 Feb 2013 , 2:41pm by -K8memphis

BrooksieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrooksieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 5:57am
post #1 of 7

AI'm making a cake later in the week and am using some box cake mixes I have in my pantry (for convenience). One is white cake mix and one is strawberry and I'm going to combine the 2. I'm worried that it will not be strawberry enough and was thinking of maybe adding 1/2 or even a whole packet of strawberry flavored gelatain. Does anyone have experience with this? Will it affect the texture of the cake?

6 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:02am
post #2 of 7

I would give the Jell-O a great big Mr. Ed style, NEIGH!!! Many, many people do it, but I think it is grotesque. Too fake! But, I do think that the strawberry and white mixed together is fine, if you like boxed strawberry. When I worked at a cake shop, that is what they did. It is still very "strawberry", but not melt your face sweet and day-glow pink, like the original strawberry box mix.

BrooksieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrooksieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:25am
post #3 of 7

ASee, the "too artificial" is what I was concerned about! I generally like to make my cakes from scratch, but in a jam or a hurry, I will use box cake mix and add to it to make it taste more homemade. I was worried the gelatin might make it too sweet or fake. Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:41am
post #4 of 7

If I had to do it, I would use the white and strawberry, and 2 boxes of white chocolate pudding, (vanilla is too yellow) and the syrup from a bag of frozen, reduced strawberries, throwing away the grey lumps (strawberries). I reduce in the crock pot, just throw the berries in, with 2 tablespoons of sugar coating them, and cook on high with no lid, while you do something else, stirring occasionally. When the syrup is thick and red, and the strawberries are grey and soggy, drain it into a measuring cup with a sieve, and let cool, then use it for part of your liquid. I am always in a hurry, so I will cool mine by topping it off with milk, until I have as much liquid as I need.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 11:43am
post #5 of 7

My avitar is a combination of strawberry and funfetti mixes. I layered them and the cake was marbled pink and white (with the sprinkles). Everyone liked the effect. HTH

uberathlete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uberathlete Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 11:58am
post #6 of 7

Freeze dried strawberry powder. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 7

i like it -- it does not affect the texture

i did not care for the strawberry flavored cake mix ;)

i also added chopped strawberries to the batter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%