Help Bulge In Layers Everytime

Decorating By jazzy2008 Updated 19 Feb 2013 , 1:31am by jazzy2008

jazzy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzy2008 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:06am
post #1 of 4

OK. So I've just started trying to do cakes and every time I put my layers together and dirty ice the cake it looks fine, but after I put the fondant on it is like the icing comes out from between the layers and causes a bulge around the cake. Am I adding to much icing between the layers or what am I doing wrong :(. Thanks for any advice.

3 replies
jazzy2008 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:18am
post #2 of 4

This is a pic of the cake and I just did and it has a very bad bulging

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:43am
post #3 of 4

Hi there! I too suffered from this very same problem, until I tried a few things that seem to be working. When you fill a cake, you need to pipe a stiff dam of icing all around, and make sure your filling is no higher than the dam. Sandwich the cakes together, press down firmly on the top layer to release any air, wrap with saran, and then let the cake rest for at least 12 hours to allow it to settle. I have been putting all my cakes in the fridge as well. The next day, I trim any bulges from the sides of the cake, then ice with a crusting buttercream, and put it back in the fridge. I find that working on really cold cakes has greatly helped, so I leave it in the fridge for 2-3 hours before covering with fondant. Hope this helps!icon_biggrin.gif

jazzy2008 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 1:31am
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much for that helpful info and I am definitely going to try this and see if it can help me :))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%