Bride Wants Tasting But Already Booked Cake Elsewhere

Business By fcakes Updated 25 Mar 2013 , 3:07am by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:42pm
post #31 of 48

Thanks everyone!! I smell disaster too! I've sent her a message, let's see what she responds with!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 3:31am
post #32 of 48

I'm dying to know!  What did your message say??

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 4:19am
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

I'm dying to know!  What did your message say??

Yeah, me too!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 5:35am
post #34 of 48

AI'm amazed that there are people who have so much spare time that they can go on fake appointments just to get tiny amounts of free cake. That's the last thing I'd want to spend my time doing.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 11:07am
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

I'm amazed that there are people who have so much spare time that they can go on fake appointments just to get tiny amounts of free cake. That's the last thing I'd want to spend my time doing.

I'm so with you on that one... I know that there are people who go to all the wedding shows to get free stuff, though. You see them at every show for years on end, so they're not planning weddings. They just want to get the super sweet free magnets, pens, gift cards etc that people are passing out. It's bizarre to me, but I was just talking about this to a person from a local venue, and she says it's getting worse than she's ever seen it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 11:41am
post #36 of 48

A

Original message sent by Ursula40

If they do book, the tasting would be merged into the cake price and deducted from that, [B] if I think of all the time and money all the others get, no way, not with the ingredients as pricey as they are here in China, don't know what you guys pay in the States, but I have to import everything.

[/B]

I find this so ironic seeing as pretty much 99.99% of all cake decorating equipment is made in and exported from China!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 2:40pm
post #37 of 48

AMost of the lettuce everyone in the states eats is growing in the fields a half mile from me. It is picked, washed, packed and shipped out who knows where, and shipped back to us. And it's just as much if not more than people in Vermont pay.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 2:41pm
post #38 of 48

AI would imagine if Ursula's suppliers need anything made locally, they're importing it back.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 10:45pm
post #39 of 48

Just like the clothes are made here, but I cannot buy the sizes I need here. They are for export and if something "falls off" the back of a truck, they only fall off in the sizes that fit the chinese, not the Europeans. I buy the tools outside of China. Some companies won't even ship to China anymore, because things don't arrive, so I have to get them whilst outside of China and lug them back. I used to order from GSA, but a couple of years back, they stoped shipping to China, but would ship to HK, so my luggage is full when I go there. Baking stuff is not that popula here, as the Chinese don't really bake or eat that many cakes, so less likely that that stuff will fall off the truck anyway

fcakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 11:11am
post #40 of 48

I had messaged the bride saying I saw her comments on another business page confirming her wedding cake, and if she had already booked her cake, and if this tasting was for a different cake or occasion. She said she had only paid a deposit, and would still like to meet me because she had liked my samples at the show.

So we met, and she loved the tasting samples that I had got (I had some last minute orders that day, so thankfully, I wasn't baking specially for her), and I gave her the pricing etc. Waiting to hear from her if she actually confirms with me or flakes on the order! 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:16pm
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcakes 

I had messaged the bride saying I saw her comments on another business page confirming her wedding cake, and if she had already booked her cake, and if this tasting was for a different cake or occasion. She said she had only paid a deposit, and would still like to meet me because she had liked my samples at the show.

So we met, and she loved the tasting samples that I had got (I had some last minute orders that day, so thankfully, I wasn't baking specially for her), and I gave her the pricing etc. Waiting to hear from her if she actually confirms with me or flakes on the order! 

I really hope that she and the baker aren't laughing and saying how dense you are, and that she is genuinely interested. I'll go punch her in the nose for you, if she has taken advantage. :-)

fcakes Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:55pm
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I really hope that she and the baker aren't laughing and saying how dense you are, and that she is genuinely interested. I'll go punch her in the nose for you, if she has taken advantage. :-)

I hope so too!

fcakes Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 7:26pm
post #43 of 48

AJust an update - received an email from the bride that she loved my cake and would like to book with me :)

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 7:39pm
post #44 of 48
Quote:

Just an update - received an email from the bride that she loved my cake and would like to book with me icon_smile.gif

Awesome!  But wait...isn't her 'friend' the other baker?  Wow I'd love to hear what she told her when she cancelled!   Be careful...she could still be fishing for info.  Get that non-refundable deposit now!  ;D

fcakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:44am
post #45 of 48

AYes! Her friend is the other baker. In fact, I saw a lot of this bride's family, cousins etc with the same last name on the bakery's Facebook page but I guess they still liked my cake. The bride said her mom and she herself were raving about the flavor. Will get the deposit ASAP!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 10:00am
post #46 of 48
Quote:

Yes! Her friend is the other baker. In fact, I saw a lot of this bride's family, cousins etc with the same last name on the bakery's Facebook page but I guess they still liked my cake. The bride said her mom and she herself were raving about the flavor. Will get the deposit ASAP!

And don't give any sketches or ANYTHING until you do!! She may still try getting your designs and ideas for free and then bring them back to her friend to implement. For your own sake make it a big deposit, especially if she has a habit of not being worried about loosing them!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:44pm
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353 

And don't give any sketches or ANYTHING until you do!! She may still try getting your designs and ideas for free and then bring them back to her friend to implement. For your own sake make it a big deposit, especially if she has a habit of not being worried about loosing them!

I agree with this!

You really need to protect yourself here.  Make sure she knows before you have any more consultations with her that her deposit is NON REFUNDABLE (I agree on making it a larger than normal) and that the deposit check will need to clear first before you do any sketching of any kind.

fcakes Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 3:07am
post #48 of 48

thanks Cathy :) I'll keep that in mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%