Smoothing Out Buttercream

Decorating By ByLeslieAnn Updated 5 Mar 2013 , 2:04pm by AsheyBear

ByLeslieAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ByLeslieAnn Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:39am
post #1 of 15

AStarting out and having hard time smoothing out buttercream. How do you get your edges nice and straight. Especially before covering with fondant. :shock:

14 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:42am
post #2 of 15

The best tool for straight edges is a bench scraper.  Works wonders!

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 3:52am
post #3 of 15

Go to Home Depot (or your local hardware store) and go to the grouting/tile aisle. Find a 90 degree scraper used for grouting or tiling and use the 90 degree angle to create those perfect sides. I hope that helps :)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 4:20am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

The best tool for straight edges is a bench scraper.  Works wonders!

Yes, and they are meant for food, unlike trowels and grout equipment from the hardware story. Sorry, but some of those things are coated with chemicals, and aren't a good food safe option. The bench scraper I use is about $6, and they have them at Bed and Bath and Beyond. They're called "Bash and Chop".

jackofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackofcakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 4:55am
post #5 of 15

a trick i used is Viva paper towel (make sure its the one without a pattern on it). After the buttercream has been refrigerated for a few hrs, i take the paper towel, place in on the cake and smooth out and wrinkles in the butter cream. Very easy!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:48am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Yes, and they are meant for food, unlike trowels and grout equipment from the hardware story. Sorry, but some of those things are coated with chemicals, and aren't a good food safe option. The bench scraper I use is about $6, and they have them at Bed and Bath and Beyond. They're called "Bash and Chop".

I got a bash and chop for Sweetest Day ;-) I LOVE it!

littlemrslarge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemrslarge Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 15

Love the Viva paper towel method - I use it on all my buttercream cakes!  Bench scrapers are awesome but I always find myself doing a final smoothing with the Viva towel regardless.

AsheyBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsheyBear Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 15

:O Thats a cool idea. And I suppose if you did have a paper towel with a design in it, that would look pretty neat too!

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheyBear 

:O Thats a cool idea. And I suppose if you did have a paper towel with a design in it, that would look pretty neat too!

I think it would depend on the print, and the cake. The cakes I have seen with paper towel print on them are just embarrassing. Though the place I use to work saved their Viva for weddings and used Bounty for everyday cakes, lol! It is too cheap for my blood, and I will wash out my larger freezer bags and use them again ;-)

kerriealloyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerriealloyd Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 15

Ai just tend to use a spatula. seems to work fine.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByLeslieAnn 

Starting out and having hard time smoothing out buttercream. How do you get your edges nice and straight. Especially before covering with fondant. icon_eek.gif

Make sure your buttercream is soft enough that you can smooth it with a metal spatula.  Add more liquid (very gradually) until you can spread a nice flat smear onto the clean back of a cake pan.

Take out a cup of icing and thin it some more to do the crumb coat.  Chill the cake with that first layer for an hour.  

Then add the final layer of buttercream which should be at least 1/4" thick. Use a metal tool (spatula or scraper) dipped into boiling hot water and dried off to do the final smoothing.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 15

I wouldn't try a tool from the hardware store...they get rusty.

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 15

I've had good experiences with the viva paper towel method, but when I do a non crusting butter cream, I use a hot angled spatula.

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:31am
post #14 of 15

A

Original message sent by Norasmom

I wouldn't try a tool from the hardware store...they get rusty.

Good tools don't. We have had a Kobalt spackle spatula thingy for several years that we use with drywall. I think it was $13, after we threw away about 7 of the $4 ones that rusted to bits. (Do the math, lol!)

AsheyBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsheyBear Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 15

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I think it would depend on the print, and the cake. The cakes I have seen with paper towel print on them are just embarrassing. Though the place I use to work saved their Viva for weddings and used Bounty for everyday cakes, lol! It is too cheap for my blood, and I will wash out my larger freezer bags and use them again ;-)

I watched this lady on YouTube use a paper towel to smooth after she got most ofit smoothed. It was pretty cool. I'm a cake decorating newbie so alot of this is new stuff

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%