Sharon Zambito's Bc Question!

Decorating By Smash Cakery Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 5:01pm by Spooky_789

Smash Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smash Cakery Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 1:25am
post #1 of 5

I am planning to make a batch of Sharon Zambito's BC tonight, and have no powdered coffee creamer on hand. Can I subsitute the hot liquid she calls for, and get a similar result with the substitution?

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
butterflybebby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflybebby Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 1:45am
post #2 of 5

I've used meringue powder before.  It works great!

Smash Cakery Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 1:57am
post #3 of 5

So do I use the exact amount, the 10 TBS mixed with 1 cup of almost boiling water?

You're a lifesaver!!!

Smash Cakery Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:38am
post #4 of 5

Okay, I'm gonna give an update on the buttercream. I made it tonight, and....I hate the mouth feel of it. I realize that it's a one-to-one ratio of shortening/sugar (1 cup shortening to 1 lb of sugar).

I have always used a 1 cup shortening to 2 lbs sugar ratio. it tends to be a much drier, quickly crusting buttercream, but I have little problem with the mouthfeel of it, and have always gotten rave reviews. Now that I am in business, I thought I would try this BC method, and I hate to say it, but I think I may stick with my go-to.

Tomorrow I am going to add in another 3-4 lbs of sugar to the prepared Zambito BC I made tonight, to see if it resembles my regular recipe a bit more. :( Boo hiss! I was hoping it would be a winner for me.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

Did you follow her directions and recipe, or did you substitute meringue powder as a PP suggested?  If you follow her recipe and directions, it is a great tasting and very smooth buttercream.  If you're not using HRS, you'll get a gritty BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%