How To Make A Cake Larger On The Top Than Bottom?

Decorating By dakotalauren Updated 21 Feb 2013 , 12:53am by costumeczar

dakotalauren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dakotalauren Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I was wondering if someone had advice out there to make a cake that is larger on the top than the bottom.  I want to create a vase/goblet type cake but I am uncertain about how it can be structured?  I have seen the Christmas Bobble Cakes which are amazing and I am certain the technique is the same, yet I am unaware of the construction.

Thanks!

Rachel

3 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 4

One way to make a cake that is larger on top than on the bottom is to make the cake (torte, fill, layer, etc.) in the larger size. Make sure the cake has a cake circle under it. Then take a cake circle that is smaller (whatever size you want the smaller size to be) and put it on top of the level cake.

Then take a knife and carve down at an angle from the top circle to the bottom. That gives you straight sides. Turn the cake over and the top is bigger than the bottom. If you want shapes in the middle, keep carving.

HTH.

dakotalauren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dakotalauren Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 1:08am
post #3 of 4

Thank you!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 12:53am
post #4 of 4

You can also stack one layer each, 6-7-8 or  7-8-9 or whatever, with the larger layer on the top. Then carve the shape by trimming off the edges of each layer to smooth out the contour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%