Help With Pricing Please!!

Business By lacey1012 Updated 17 Feb 2013 , 9:15pm by jason_kraft

lacey1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey1012 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 4

ASo ive made a sold a couple great cakes now and ive notices ive priced my cake a little low. I just got a request to make this cake and need help pricing! Cake will be an 8" buttercream with fondant decorations, i have to deliver it 10 minutes away and i live in Michigan. Thanks guys!!:)[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2924284/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

3 replies
mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Lacy,
First of all, welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

If you are asking what I would charge for a cake that size, assuming it's not a special flavor, mud cake or coconut filled etc., I'd have to say not less than  $60. But that takes into consideration that I need to buy fondant ( it's cheaper to make), my gas bill, all used items from pastry bags to wax paper to line my pans have to be considered. And I pay myself, too.
I've done cakes for a while so I'm faster than a beginner, but I still want to be compensated for the time away from my rather large family.
Bottom line...don't look at what it 'cost you to make it...butter, powdered sugar, etc and neglect that you should be compensated for your skill. If you don't and under price yourself, you'll be busy and burned out fast.
I'm sending you a pm.

mommachris

lacey1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey1012 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 4

A

Original message sent by mommachris

Hi Lacy,

First of all, welcome. :D If you are asking what I would charge for a cake that size, assuming it's not a special flavor, mud cake or coconut filled etc., I'd have to say not less than  $60. But that takes into consideration that I need to buy fondant ( it's cheaper to make), my gas bill, all used items from pastry bags to wax paper to line my pans have to be considered. And I pay myself, too.

I've done cakes for a while so I'm faster than a beginner, but I still want to be compensated for the time away from my rather large family.

Bottom line...don't look at what it 'cost you to make it...butter, powdered sugar, etc and neglect that you should be compensated for your skill. If you don't and under price yourself, you'll be busy and burned out fast.

I'm sending you a pm.

mommachris

Thank you so much!! Its not a special flavor or anything:) i was about to charge $40 but i think i will charge a bit more i didnt think about the pastry bags and wax paper and all that!! That was so helpful!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 4

AHow many hours do you think it will take you to bake and decorate that cake? Have you gotten written permission from Disney to reproduce their copyrighted character design?

Assuming we were able to get permission, we would charge at least $100 for the cake plus $20 delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%