Cakes Styles You Never Get Tired Of Seeing

Decorating By tdovewings Updated 19 Feb 2013 , 11:00pm by ibeeflower

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 30

Minnie Mouse cakes have to be my favorite. No matter how many times I see them, they still give me such delight. I think most of the cakes I've saved in my favorites are Minnie Mouse Cakes. 

In addition to that I can't get enough of (in no particular order):

1) Chevron

2) Ombre Cakes

3) Cakes with a really tall tier

4) Graphic design cakes

5) Farm/barnyard cakes

6) Cakes with one or two really large flowers (peony or fantasy)

7) Penguins on the ice style cakes

8) Lambeth style piping

9) Sheet cakes in the "Corrie76" style 

What are your favs?

29 replies
Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 30

AI like any sort of Dr Seuss inspired cakes- tall, bright, topsy, over the top decoration etc.

mariel9898 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariel9898 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 30

I like to see Lambeth style cakes and hand painting on fondant.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 30

Tall cakes with a single large flower, especially if the fondant/ buttercream is white.

tdovewings Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151 

I like any sort of Dr Seuss inspired cakes- tall, bright, topsy, over the top decoration etc.

Yes, I've always wondered how folks get that illustrated look on those cakes. Yes, they are amazing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 30

Lambeth definately :) 

All Buttercream

Extreme, simple sheet cakes.  There is so much room to create beauty:)

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 30

I love cakes for babies. Especially with sweet baby animals on them. I also love sunsets painted on cakes with silhouettes. I like clean, simple, elegant cakes that are understated but stunning! I love one perfect, life-like flower.  On the flip side, I think I will scream if I have to look at one more baby rump cake! Ugggh! Not too keen on the pregnant belly with the footprint either. Sorry to bring in a negative to the topic!

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 30

Stained glass cake designs. Always amazed, always impressed, and always in awe of the beauty. Now if I can just get my nerve up to try it!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird 

I love cakes for babies. Especially with sweet baby animals on them. I also love sunsets painted on cakes with silhouettes. I like clean, simple, elegant cakes that are understated but stunning! I love one perfect, life-like flower.  On the flip side, I think I will scream if I have to look at one more baby rump cake! Ugggh! Not too keen on the pregnant belly with the footprint either. Sorry to bring in a negative to the topic!

I love cakes with little animals for children too, with the cakes covered in pastel buttercream of fondant. They look so sweet. I'm also not a fan of the belly cakes. I thought it was just me! It seems a bit creepy, but to each their own I guess.

tdovewings Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 30

I love all of these too! I guess I just like cake!

Not a fan of belly cakes or baby butt cakes either. 

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 30

Royal Icing, piping, scrolls, I love them all!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Extreme, simple sheet cakes.  There is so much room to create beauty:)

Indeed. Most of my cakes are severely simple: single-layer sheet cake, served "in pan" (could that perhaps be termed "family style"?), or perhaps unfrosted pound cakes baked in a Bundt mold. With just "the family pattern" on the frosting (or piped strawberry shapes, for a strawberry marble), with selected areas left flat and blank for occasion-specific decorations.

cake Valentine Strawberry Marble

Less is more.

(I will say that the only reason why I didn't use "the family pattern" on the Leland Awards cake was that I simply ran out of time.
Cake for 2012 Leland Awards
The plan was to apply "the family pattern" around the pictures and piped lettering, instead of leaving it looking like a rustic stucco job.)

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 30

I love tiered cakes; when the choice is mine I will ALWAYS do tiers, even if I need to use a dummy. I do my best to talk my customers into tiers, too. I'd much rather do a 7" and 4" tiered cake than a 10" round. As for design, this may change in 6 months but for now I'm still really in love with the ombre ruffle/frill look and other fabric effects like ribbon flowers and bows. Also the tall tiers with a single stunning gumpaste flower.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:34pm
post #14 of 30

Ombre

tjgett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 12:00am
post #15 of 30

My favorites are whimsical cakes and cakes that look like food, like a cheeseburger .  I love it when people's eyes pop open and say, "Is that really a cake?!"

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 4:49am
post #16 of 30

I agree with every single one of you, plus I just love making buttercream roses, and lace cakes. Triple dittos on the baby rump and prego belly cakes being creepy and horrible! (Anyone hungry for human flesh? Would you like the breast or the fetus? GAG!!!)

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 5:00am
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I agree with every single one of you, plus I just love making buttercream roses, and lace cakes. Triple dittos on the baby rump and prego belly cakes being creepy and horrible! (Anyone hungry for human flesh? Would you like the breast or the fetus? GAG!!!)

Tha'ts how I feel too. honestly the baby sleeping, the pregnant belly and/or foot cakes, the baby's bum-whatever they are...they creep me out. It's just too strange IMO.  Also I just do not see the appeal in them. do people actually ask for these cakes or is that what cake makers are offering as options? Either way, I can do without seeing them.

I love the very modern, simple and 'clean' designed cakes ('clean' meaning less is more and art/color  rules are applied!), sugar flowers...like Faye Cahill or similar designers. I still love damask even though that may be played out by now.

Lace cakes, drapes done in a modern way. Cakes that remind me of a wedding dress or gorgeous fabric like a lot of the Canadian cake designers seem to be doing right now...love that style/look too.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:15pm
post #18 of 30

I think I can agree with the idea that a cake shaped like Human anatomy (or any portion thereof, including that one rather notorious one that Lorena Bobbitt would probably love) is in rather poor taste. (Then again, I don't especially like Easter candy in the shape of small, cute, animals, either.)

"Annabakescakes": you agree with all of us? Even my own inclination to just do simple, "family-style" in-pan sheet cakes? I'm flattered. (And I'm not being sarcastic. Not at all. I'm also hoping that for this year's Leland Awards cake, I'll have the time and energy to de-pan the thing, finish the blank areas in "the family pattern" [instead of just troweled out like rustic stucco], and maybe, maybe  even pipe a border around it.)

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I think I can agree with the idea that a cake shaped like Human anatomy (or any portion thereof, including that one rather notorious one that Lorena Bobbitt would probably love) is in rather poor taste. (Then again, I don't especially like Easter candy in the shape of small, cute, animals, either.)

"Annabakescakes": you agree with all of us? Even my own inclination to just do simple, "family-style" in-pan sheet cakes? I'm flattered. (And I'm not being sarcastic. Not at all. I'm also hoping that for this year's Leland Awards cake, I'll have the time and energy to de-pan the thing, finish the blank areas in "the family pattern" [instead of just troweled out like rustic stucco], and maybe, maybe  even pipe a border around it.)

For my MIL birthday last year, I served a yellow cake with chocolate icing on a Styrofoam plate! And for my own cake, a couple weeks later, my husband made me one that was rough iced, and the year before last, for my birthday, we had an angel food cake my grandma made, with boiled icing, that my kids iced it with it! Oh, and my husband's birthday we made a coffee flavored cake with creamy cinnamon vanilla icing, and smeared it on, all messily. We enjoy these cakes very much, and it is nice to not have to cut through fondant and pull wires and straws and cardboard off or out of them! We leave our brownies in the pan, but I do take my cakes out. ;-)

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 30

Ug! And I hate the Lorena Bobbitt Special, or the female alternative...I won't touch those with a ten foot pole, either decorating, or eating!

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 8:28pm
post #21 of 30

AI'm loving everything that's around right now! Ombre Chevron Rustic iced with over sized flowers Succulents Graphic/typography Gold Peonies x1000 Stipes Different height tiers Ruffles

ibeeflower Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 9:05pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:

Ug! And I hate the Lorena Bobbitt Special, or the female alternative...I won't touch those with a ten foot pole, either decorating, or eating!

Ha! I had to google her because I had no idea who she was. Um, yeah...I wouldn't make anything that is related to what she did.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 9:57pm
post #23 of 30

I suddenly find myself thinking of the night Patrick Stewart hosted Saturday Night Live. And did a sketch in which he portrayed a baker with somewhat odd tastes.

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 10:35pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower 

Ha! I had to google her because I had no idea who she was. Um, yeah...I wouldn't make anything that is related to what she did.

Where is your rock you been living under, Ibeeflower ?icon_biggrin.gif Or are you a youngin' or from another country? lol! I thought everybody knew!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I suddenly find myself thinking of the night Patrick Stewart hosted Saturday Night Live. And did a sketch in which he portrayed a baker with somewhat odd tastes.

And now, I will have to go to Google!

ibeeflower Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 10:46pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:

Where is your rock you been living under, Ibeeflower ?icon_biggrin.gif Or are you a youngin' or from another country? lol! I thought everybody knew!

Quote:

And now, I will have to go to Google!

I'm 24 :) I was either 5 or 6 around the time that happened. I didn't look at the exact dates of when it happened.

tdovewings Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 10:51pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:

I'm 24 :) I was either 5 or 6 around the time that happened. I didn't look at the exact dates of when it happened.

Oh boy! I just realized I'm not young anymore! 

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 10:51pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:

I guess you parents probably turned the news off, and spoke in code, still, lol! It was 1993 was 12 or 13, then, and it was all my step-father could think about!

Actually, that made you 3 or 4, probably too young to get it!

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 10:54pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings 

OH NO! I am SO sorry! icon_biggrin.gif

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 10:59pm
post #29 of 30

AThe traditional wedding cake!!!!

ibeeflower Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 11:00pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:

I guess you parents probably turned the news off, and spoke in code, still, lol! It was 1993 was 12 or 13, then, and it was all my step-father could think about!

Actually, that made you 3 or 4, probably too young to get it!

I was 4 1/2 now that I look at the dates. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdovewings View Post

Aww, I'm sorry! :'( Don't feel old. You have so much more wisdom than I do. I'm in my 20s where I'm just lost and making dumb mistakes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%