dawnybird Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:48am
post #1 of

When I've tried "painting" fondant or gum paste pieces, I have a problem. I put a small amount of gel color (usually Wilton) in a small container, add lemon extract and start to mix, but the color clumps up and won't mix smoothly with the extract, so when I paint with it, I get some watery areas of color and some very dark clumps. I've tried mixing with a toothpick, a spoon, the paint brush itself. I tried peppermint extract with the same results. I don't keep vodka in the house. Does anyone else have this same problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:51am
post #2 of

use airbrush colors

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:54am
post #3 of

I thin mine with a bit of glycerin, and some white coloring to lighten it,  but don't shake it. I put a few drops of each in a pallet, then mix with the brush. If it is still too thick, for what I am doing, I just add water, a drop or two at a time.  But I also don't use Wilton.

 

Which gives me an idea, the last time I painted I thought it was a shame I had to throw out all that extra color, but emptying out all that thick, nasty Wilton color down the drain, and reusing the containers for paint would be great!

BakingIrene Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 3:05am
post #4 of

Use piping gel instead of liquor.

dawnybird Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:41pm
post #5 of

Wow! I'm astonished at your suggestions! Everything I've ever heard was "mix with vodka or extract"! Who knew you could use these other mediums! Annabakescakes, you don't use Wilton colors? What do you use instead? I've use some Americolor, but my cake supply store doesn't carry much of a selection.

kikiandkyle Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:50pm
post #6 of

I use Wilton gel, their white color and lemon extract. Maybe you're using too much gel? I've never had it clump up, but I use a really small amount. It should be liquid like water, not thick like oil paint. I also bought a 99c plastic paint palette to mix my colors in rather than using empty containers. 

 

Theres a great free class on Craftsy about painting with food colors btw.

dawnybird Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 8:05pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I use Wilton gel, their white color and lemon extract. Maybe you're using too much gel? I've never had it clump up, but I use a really small amount. It should be liquid like water, not thick like oil paint. I also bought a 99c plastic paint palette to mix my colors in rather than using empty containers. 

 

Theres a great free class on Craftsy about painting with food colors btw.


Thanks for the heads-up on the Craftsy class!

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:00pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird 

Wow! I'm astonished at your suggestions! Everything I've ever heard was "mix with vodka or extract"! Who knew you could use these other mediums! Annabakescakes, you don't use Wilton colors? What do you use instead? I've use some Americolor, but my cake supply store doesn't carry much of a selection.

I am an Americolor convert, from using Wilton colors. I still have about 50 pots of it, and a box of the small ones that aren't even open! I think there is 12-16 in there? I have had it since before I met my DH, lol! I guess about 8 years... Once I dropped a drop in from a bottle, and didn't have to dig it out of the pot with a tooth pick, I switched. The wilton is just so chunky. It is hard to mix. I didn't replace all my colors at once, since I was on a budget. I just got the most common ones, and then built up from there. I also order directly from DecoPac, and get their line. It just depends on how bad I need it. I get the 6-12 oz bottles though, since they are more cost effective than the little ones, and I use so much of it. I have gotten the little ones in emergencies, but don't stock them.

 

If your cake shop doesn't carry them, there are some really great places to order them online. Hobby Lobby has them, and I know you can order from them online, and even use free shipping coupons. I have never ordered colors from them, though, so I don't know if they ship them or not.

dawnybird Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 10:14pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I am an Americolor convert, from using Wilton colors. I still have about 50 pots of it, and a box of the small ones that aren't even open! I think there is 12-16 in there? I have had it since before I met my DH, lol! I guess about 8 years... Once I dropped a drop in from a bottle, and didn't have to dig it out of the pot with a tooth pick, I switched. The wilton is just so chunky. It is hard to mix. I didn't replace all my colors at once, since I was on a budget. I just got the most common ones, and then built up from there. I also order directly from DecoPac, and get their line. It just depends on how bad I need it. I get the 6-12 oz bottles though, since they are more cost effective than the little ones, and I use so much of it. I have gotten the little ones in emergencies, but don't stock them.

 

If your cake shop doesn't carry them, there are some really great places to order them online. Hobby Lobby has them, and I know you can order from them online, and even use free shipping coupons. I have never ordered colors from them, though, so I don't know if they ship them or not.


Okay, thanks! I'll look into ordering them online. You do have a good point about not having to dig it out with a toothpick. I hate that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%