Dying The Hair Of Wilton Doll Pick

Decorating By ashleabrowncake Updated 17 Feb 2013 , 12:59am by Annabakescakes

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:32am
post #1 of 5

AHas anyone ever died the hair of a wilton doll pick? I have one with an almost blonde colour and I want it red for Ariel cake, for tomorrow. I have just tried soaking it in red food dye but it didn't take :(

4 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:34am
post #2 of 5

It's plastic, so most things wont take. Maybe try a permanent marker? You can get a broad tip, and color it.

PurpleSharkBakingCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurpleSharkBakingCo Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:43am
post #3 of 5

I've dyed mine... went from the blonde to a redhead for a Hula Girl cake. I used straight red color. It was a natural shade (lol ended up same shade as my hair) but I'd say Sharpie if you wanted like Ariel red.  I used Magic Chef liquid color I believe...  Hope that helps!!

If you're trying again, did you use straight food coloring or did you dilute it?  When I did it, I used it straight and assumed I could always rinse it a bit to get it lighter.  Just a thought :)

Sheila

(Duh, sorry, I see you said it was for Ariel...)

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5

Athank you, I think I will give it a go with a Sharpie and see how that goes :)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:59am
post #5 of 5

I don't use the doll picks, but I have a bag of nappy headed Barbie's I use to bust their heads and arms and legs off, wash, and off and cover in black fondant for dress cakes. I just busted a head off and colored it with an orange Sharpie, and it looks great! It would take a while to do the whole thing with it, so I would go look for a poster sized one, PRONTO! If I had to color a whole head.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%