Gum Paste Fondant Shoe Question

Decorating By MsMonica Updated 17 Feb 2013 , 7:31pm by KathleenC

MsMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsMonica Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

I'm going to attempt making this but wondering how soon I can make it & store it? My sisters baby shower is in a couple weeks. Thanks!

http://cakecentral.com/a/fondant-converse-sneaker-shoe

5 replies
MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 6

You can and should make it in advance- gum paste/fondant items last a very long time- keep it covered after it dries so it doesn't collect dust- be careful not to seal it up too soon or it will start to wilt- I still ave gum paste flowers I made over a year ago-

Mo

Rewolf399 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rewolf399 Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 6

I just made a pair of these today for a cake I am doing in a couple of weeks!  I used Cambo's pattern and instructions (thanks Flourpots for sending them to me) and they came out great, very pleased.  Mine are drying now and then I will seal them up.  I did yellow sneakers with pink laces and no bling, but here are the ones I patterned after: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1330155

MsMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsMonica Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for your advice! Glad I have a lil room for trial & error. And those blinged out shoes are adorable! My sisters shower is baseball theme (boy) so I thought some cute navy converse would go with the theme.  

Rewolf399 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rewolf399 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 6

These are the ones that I just finished.  Mine is for "it's a girl" baby shower.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 6

I did the same as you...a trial pair, about 3 weeks before the cake was done, just to make sure I knew what I was doing.  :-)  I'm really glad I did, because when I made the final pair a week or so before the cake was done, I ended up making a couple of minor changes from my first pair.

I used a 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix, and they turned out well and dried hard as nails.  If you have an extruder, it works great for the laces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%