Renting Kitchen Space

Business By nicoles0305 Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 11:04pm by havealittle

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 3

So I'm in talks with someone about renting out some licensed kitchen space. I'm trying to get my business going *legally* (!!) here. For those who have rented kitchen space, can you please tell me what I need to know going in?

I do know that while the kitchen is licensed, I will need to obtain my own license to cover me when I am using the space. I know I have to seek out the USDA to do this in my state (PA). Does anyone have any better info for that other than just googling?

Also, regarding an agreement with the company with the kitchen, I'm guessing that it would be best to come up with a contract for both parties to agree on and sign. What kind of terms should be included in the agreement?

It is a fire hall kitchen, so I would be scheduling my time for when they don't already have it booked for others.

What else do I need to know and/or do? This is all very new to me! Thanks!!

2 replies
mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 3:28am
post #2 of 3

For the kitchen I am currently renting, I had to provide proof of insurance.  We negotiated the price and terms of rental and put all that in a contract.  To start my business, I have a tax id number, sale's tax license and license to do business from the health department.  The health department had to inspect the facility. 

My best piece of advise is ask for the moon.  The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no", but they can also just as easily say "yes". 

Hope that is somewhat helpful.

havealittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havealittle Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 3

I am going to follow this post....I am getting ready to work out a plan with a local community center. I went up to York to the YorKitchen...but the drive and etc didn't make it cost effective for me....

Best of Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%