How To Make At-At Walker Cake (Star War Fans)

Decorating By Richiescakes Updated 16 Feb 2013 , 3:15pm by Richiescakes

Richiescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richiescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 12:33am
post #1 of 6

I'm in the process of making an AT-AT Star wars cake and wanted to get your feedback on how to make the cake stand for it.  I can make it standing but I don't know how to make it look like it's walking. Any ideas?

See the link below -- She did an awesome job on this cake. Mine won't have that many details! ;)

http://crazycakecompany.blogspot.com/2009/12/at-at-walker-surprise.html

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 2:01am
post #2 of 6

I did one and the board that the cake sat on was bolted to the base board using L brackets attached to those flat metal bars that have holes for bolts in them. The bars supporting the board under the cake were straight up and down, so the board wasn't going to go anywhere. I took some plastic  boards and cut angled leg-shaped pieces in different positions that I put up against the metal bars, then covered them with candy clay. If you do it that way the angle of the plastic pieces makes it look like the legs are walking and it covers up the supporting bars. Here's a drawing, does this make sense?

Richiescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 2:35am
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much for responding so quickly!! When you said you used plastic pieces, what exactly did you use and where do you get it?  I still don't  understand how the plastic pieces hid the poles that supported the base cake.  Wouldn't you see the top of the supporting bars/poles? 

Richiescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

Oh - sorry!! Now I get it!! It's per leg you did this! Wow - great idea. Can you tell me where you got the plastic pieces from?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 3:02am
post #5 of 6

Yeah, it's one per leg, and you can change the angles slightly to make it look like it's walking. I used a corrugated plastic board from the craft store, you can cut them with scissors or a knife. You can see on this how the legs are kind of going in different directions.

Richiescakes Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much!!  I finished it with your help! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%