Can Someone Help Please

Decorating By nikki54321 Updated 14 Feb 2013 , 10:40pm by Rewolf399

nikki54321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki54321 Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 10:05am
post #1 of 4

hi everyone I'm looking for some advice and ideas please. 

I've been asked to make a muscle man on a weights bench cake but I'm having problems with the bench. i want the bench to be on 4 legs (not a solid bench) the problem is i think the weight of the man and the bench will cause the legs to go through my cake. is there anything i can maybe put under my bench to support the weight. 

also i always have trouble with the sides of my cake burning. i have read that some people put wet towel around cake pan to stop this. Is this an ordinary bathroom towel or a special one?

as you can probably tell I'm very new to cake decorating so i will be  appreciated  for any tips and advice.

3 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 10:23am
post #2 of 4

Can't help with the muscle man but for the towel, nothing special, just an ordinary kitchen towel would work. Cut it into strips that you can fold over lengthwise, wet it, and secure it around the pan with t-pins or metal clips.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 11:44am
post #3 of 4

You need to make the legs go right through your cake to the board. I'd personally use straws or dowels; place them into your cake where you need the 'legs' to be and mark the point where they stick out of the top of your cake. pull them out and cover them with fondant  from your mark up (use sugar glue or a tiny bit of melted chocolate to stick a thin strip of fondant all the way round). let the fondant airdry over night so you dont leave finger marks on the legs when you pop them back into your cake then place your bech top on top and fella of the legs.

That should be strong enough. Your bench top will need to be a nice dry piece of gum paste ideally dried for a few days or it will sag in the middle, but you could probably use a fondant covered cracker if you were tight for time?

Hope that helps you :)

Gray

Rewolf399 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rewolf399 Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 4

Or you could put the bench on a fondant covered cake board and that would help spread the load of the legs instead of having the legs directly on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%