Cake Pop Debate!

Baking By SonyaE Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 11:06pm by justbake

olybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olybaker Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 1:34am
post #31 of 82

I do like the idea of using flavored creamer in lieu of frosting to cut down on sweetness.  Have to try that out.  I'm guessing that also adds moisture to the cake which is a plus.  

The few times I tried the crumb+frosting way, it was alot of work -> crumble the cake, mix the crumb with a binder and, and roll into balls.  I found the cake ball pan to be more efficient.  Will help to have a couple of pans, though.  I only own one.

In comparing candy melts to almond bark, my tasters preferred the bark.  The chocolate bark actually tasted like real chocolate to them.    

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 5:50pm
post #32 of 82

I think you're right about that, leah_s. If I use icing at all, it's just the tiniest bit. If the cake needs binding, I prefer to moisten it with a little liqueur or other alcoholic beverage - Bailey's, rum, limoncello, etc. That's why I liked the idea of the coffee creamers and the unsweetened cream for a non-alcoholic but not overly sweet version. I also like to add nuts and chopped dried fruits when the occasion calls for it.

Marianna46 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 5:53pm
post #33 of 82

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the candy coating vs. chocolate part of the debate. Real chocolate all the way, although the candy melts I get are basically chocolate that has had the cocoa butter removed and substituted with some other kind of vegetable fat, so it's not totally gross.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:17pm
post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46 

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the candy coating vs. chocolate part of the debate. Real chocolate all the way, although the candy melts I get are basically chocolate that has had the cocoa butter removed and substituted with some other kind of vegetable fat, so it's not totally gross.

What brand is that? Sounds interesting! I HATE Candy Melts, too gross!

I think a lot of people are also forgetting that flavored coffee creamer is sickeningly sweet.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 6:23pm
post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

I sell as many of these as I can make on the Dessert Truck.  I buy sticks by the box of 1000.  The key is to use the tinest bit of icing with the crumbs.  Most people use way too much - like twice too much.

I agree! many of the "how tos" instruct to make a mush mix...YUCK...the mouth-feel on this consistency is really gross!!!

for a large crumbled cake (NordicWare 9x2.5 rounds X2, 10 cups batter), between 3-5 tablespoons of icing is plenty. the mix is just barely moist...just enough to hold a shape. for icing I use a crusting buttercream, so chilling the ball (or square, or heart, or egg, etc.) sets the shape for dipping.     

Marianna46 Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 3:17am
post #36 of 82

Anna, the stuff I use are Dolcezza chips. They're made here in Mexico by a chocolate company called Turin. In all honesty, that's what I was told, but now that I'm taking a closer look at the ingredients on the label, I'm not sure my information is totally correct, but they do taste a lot better than your standard candy melts.

Marianna46 Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 3:30am
post #37 of 82

Well, okay, I've been doing a little research on the internet and it seems that the basic ingredient in these chips is something called "grasa láurica", which I have no idea how to translate into English, except that it is some kind of fat. What the internet says about it is that it is indeed a fat used as a substitute for cocoa butter in chocolate products, so maybe my info wasn't so wrong after all. It has the decided advantage that if you overheat the "chocolate" chips, they still melt nicely without seizing or scorching.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 4:22am
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat 

I'm a cake pop virgin. I've never had the chance to eat one and I heard they were a PITA to make, so haven't tried. If I ever see one that looks/seems reasonably 'fresh' maybe I'll try one...but so far haven't come across one yet. 

ps- also candy melts sort of freak me out...it's like sugary plastic, right?

Everything she said!  Haha! Cakepop virgin!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 5:08pm
post #39 of 82

You can make them without frosting look at this clip.  She is the maker of cake roller which is on sale for $99

Also, check out her other blog post some cute stuff.

http://heavenlycakepops.com/2012/03/tips-and-tricks-the-food-processor/

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 6:34pm
post #40 of 82
Quote:

Anna, the stuff I use are Dolcezza chips. They're made here in Mexico by a chocolate company called Turin. In all honesty, that's what I was told, but now that I'm taking a closer look at the ingredients on the label, I'm not sure my information is totally correct, but they do taste a lot better than your standard candy melts.

Quote:

Well, okay, I've been doing a little research on the internet and it seems that the basic ingredient in these chips is something called "grasa láurica", which I have no idea how to translate into English, except that it is some kind of fat. What the internet says about it is that it is indeed a fat used as a substitute for cocoa butter in chocolate products, so maybe my info wasn't so wrong after all. It has the decided advantage that if you overheat the "chocolate" chips, they still melt nicely without seizing or scorching.

Thank you Marianna, I will have to look for them!

LeTorte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeTorte Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:21am
post #41 of 82

I use almond bark...easier to work with then the pellets and super inexpensive from walmart and I don't have to worry about tempering them.    they only sell milk chocolate and white chocolate but you can dye the white whatever color.  to much frosting causes to many issues, besides being SUPER sweet, it also causes them to fall off the stick.  I use a mixer to crumble my cake and use very little frosting if any at all...depending on whether I overcook or not, lol..don't judge me, lol!!!  There is quite a debate about cake pop vs. bake pop.  I use scraps so cake pops it is for me, but I have both the cake pop roller and bake pop machine.  they are quite different.  I saw someone referenced the cake pop roller and while it works for some, (I love mine), it doesn't work for others, but from what I can tell it all boils down to a consistency issue.  I saw this blog it was pretty funny...sarcastic yet it hit home.  http://heavenlycakepops.com/2013/07/bake-pop-vs-cake-pops/

nyclightskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyclightskin Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 8:22pm
post #42 of 82

I do both.  My daughter perfers the lighter ones using the cake pop maker but my customers rather the actual cake pops --with the crumbs and icing.... I have been reading everything I can re: cakepops and I love it.. SO - Crumbs and light icing all day.. (FYI- your chocolate shouldn't be rock hard.. maybe you should add some crisco to it?) it was lighten the thickness up.

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 10:02pm
post #43 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTorte 

I use almond bark...easier to work with then the pellets and super inexpensive from walmart and I don't have to worry about tempering them.    they only sell milk chocolate and white chocolate but you can dye the white whatever color.  to much frosting causes to many issues, besides being SUPER sweet, it also causes them to fall off the stick.  I use a mixer to crumble my cake and use very little frosting if any at all...depending on whether I overcook or not, lol..don't judge me, lol!!!  There is quite a debate about cake pop vs. bake pop.  I use scraps so cake pops it is for me, but I have both the cake pop roller and bake pop machine.  they are quite different.  I saw someone referenced the cake pop roller and while it works for some, (I love mine), it doesn't work for others, but from what I can tell it all boils down to a consistency issue.  I saw this blog it was pretty funny...sarcastic yet it hit home.  http://heavenlycakepops.com/2013/07/bake-pop-vs-cake-pops/

LOVE the infographic :-) Though I couldn't disagree more!

cakepops_infographic.jpg

nyclightskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyclightskin Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 11:15pm
post #44 of 82

I so want to buy one of those rollers. I made 80 cake pops balls last night..

I saw one of the demo's regarding problem solving.. it seems you have to take the air out of the cake.. it really has to be bindable..

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 7:22pm
post #45 of 82

AI have the roller. Save your money for an Agbay.

Marianna46 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 9:49pm
post #46 of 82

Cute infographic, but you're right about saving your money for an Agbay, leah_s. I would never use a cake pop baker, because as far as I'm concerned, the only reason for making cake pops in the first place is to use cake left over from leveling and trimming! LOL. That said, I might invest in a roller if I find out they really work and take less time than rolling balls by hand. But where I live, you can't get either a cake pop roller or an Agbay, so I guess this discussion is moot (sad face and sigh).

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 10:20pm
post #47 of 82

I really don't like cake pops much either and I really hate the cake and icing way to make them.  They do seem like already chewed up food and just don't taste very good to me.  The ones at Starbucks are awful but the kids seem to love them (especially the 6 year old).  I used to make them with icing and crumbs but now make them with my babycakes maker and they are much easier this way.  They were always too heavy the other way and I tried not to add too much icing but they still where heavier and harder to dip.  And I totally hate the taste of candy melts so I always use real chocolate instead. Either way to make them though sucks and I hate making them though and try to talk anyone wanting these into doing push pops instead.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 12:46am
post #48 of 82

Cake Pops, first time, made them way too big, used Merkins white candy coating. Couldn't get the candy coating smooth so I just sprinkled pastel confetti on them.  Yellow Butter cake with SMBC icing.  They each weighed 2 1/2 oz....... huge & heavy.

I Let the balls firm up overnight in fridge, then stuck the sticks in them.  I think I'd rather use Petit Four icing on them, as it flows better & looks smoother.

And it was kinda weird the pre-digested smush of cake. I'll test them on kids  but  it's easier to make a family size layer cake, or cupcakes,  than mess with these. I'd evaluate my experiment as a failure.

Tish Ferrer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tish Ferrer Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 5:00am
post #49 of 82

I've done both. I like the crumb & icing because I don't waist all the cake I trim off my cakes. I also think the pan pops crumble easy when I'm dipping them so I have to be very careful not to tap too hard.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 5:42am
post #50 of 82

AFor all of you interested in the cake pop roller someone posted before about a similar device much cheaper.

http://pinterest.com/pin/9148005466079921/

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 6:15pm
post #51 of 82

Wouldn't catfish bait be tiny?

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 6:22pm
post #52 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Cake Pops, first time, made them way too big, used Merkins white candy coating. Couldn't get the candy coating smooth so I just sprinkled pastel confetti on them.  Yellow Butter cake with SMBC icing.  They each weighed 2 1/2 oz....... huge & heavy.

I Let the balls firm up overnight in fridge, then stuck the sticks in them.  I think I'd rather use Petit Four icing on them, as it flows better & looks smoother.

And it was kinda weird the pre-digested smush of cake. I'll test them on kids  but  it's easier to make a family size layer cake, or cupcakes,  than mess with these. I'd evaluate my experiment as a failure.

I just took a class on Thursday. She added paramount crystals to her Merkin's. It thinned it out and the she tapped her wrist with her other hand while turning the pop knocking off all of the extra candy coating. She says that's what made them smooth

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 7:27pm
post #53 of 82

AThey have different sizes of the bait makers.

Teezerts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teezerts Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 11:17pm
post #54 of 82

I used coffee creamer in some of mine also.  Love it!  I make my cakes from scratch most of the time and do not always use frosting....creamer, nutella, cream cheese...the possibilities are endless.

lifeservant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifeservant Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 8:15pm
post #55 of 82

AI agree!

lifeservant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifeservant Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 8:16pm
post #56 of 82

A

Original message sent by leah_s

I sell as many of these as I can make on the Dessert Truck.  I buy sticks by the box of 1000.  The key is to use the tinest bit of icing with the crumbs.  Most people use way too much - like twice too much.

deannescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deannescakes Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 8:44pm
post #57 of 82

I usually find cake pops to be way too sweet, what with the icing in the cake, and then the chocolate on top! Also, they are so difficult to make. The consistency of the cake+icing needs to be just right, and the dipping chocolate cannot be too heavy otherwise the pops will just fall right off. I have learned this the hard way :(. But I do admit, covered in sprinkles and wrapped in cellophane, they are so pretty!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 9:49pm
post #58 of 82

I must say, cake pops have stopped selling.  I can't unload them any more.  I get the occasinal order/inquiry but they're history.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 10:31pm
post #59 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

I must say, cake pops have stopped selling.  I can't unload them any more.  I get the occasinal order/inquiry but they're history.

Whew thank heavens. :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 11:09pm
post #60 of 82

Our local cake pop lady moved to CA. I thought about picking them up and made a few batches to take to school. Everyone loved them. I just don't think I could get enough orders to justify learning to make all of the different designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%