Cake Pop Debate!

Baking By SonyaE Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 11:06pm by justbake

SonyaE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SonyaE Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 82

ACan anyone give me their opinions on cake pop makers VS traditional cake pops( cake crumbs + icing) ?

81 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 82

I have a babycakes pop maker, it's so easy to use, and my kids prefer the cake only pops it makes. But I feel embarrassed giving them to people because they're not 'real' cake pops, so I make those with any cake trimmings I have and save them in the freezer for when the need arises. 

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 12:34am
post #3 of 82

I personally like the ones made of cake crumbs and icing (whether a little or a lot is up to you). I don't see much difference between the cake-only ones made in cake pop makers and donut holes. And what would I do with all the trimmings from my sculpted cakes if I couldn't make cake pops/truffles from them?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 7:18am
post #4 of 82

I despise the cake crumbs and icing ones! Pre-chewed cake flavored balls... ICK! I have the pans. 

goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 8:43am
post #5 of 82

Quote:

I despise the cake crumbs and icing ones! Pre-chewed cake flavored balls... ICK! I have the pans.

This!!!

Marianna46 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 82

Hahaha! Anna, they're not pre-chewed! Do you think of mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream as pre-chewed potatoes? What I like about the cake crumb ones is their versatility - you can combine them with anything your little heart desires. That said, I don't hate the other kind, either. Life with options is nice, isn't it?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 82

I have yet to have an actual cake ball (the ones that aren't like mushy cookie dough). I could get behind an actual baked cake ball dipped in frosting.

lorraine41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorraine41 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 82

I have the cake pan that makes the cake balls of pure cake.  And my customers love it! I adjust the recipe like the instructions say and I add a bag of chocolate mini morsels which add to the great texture. and they always come put perfectly round

kikiandkyle Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 82

AWhile they're not 'pre-chewed', the issue of them being all over someone's hands, even with gloves, grosses me out.

SonyaE Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 1:36am
post #10 of 82

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2922242/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Thanks for all your help - they're getting there!

olybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olybaker Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 3:11am
post #11 of 82

Tried making both kinds.  Those who ate them seem to favor the cake pop maker variety.  I personally prefer it, too, because it's lighter.  The cake+frosting coated with candy melt is way too sweet.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 5:14am
post #12 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

While they're not 'pre-chewed', the issue of them being all over someone's hands, even with gloves, grosses me out

Oh yeah, there is that, too! How many times have I seen someone working with gloves on, acting like the gloves are there for the sole purpose to protect their own hands? Wiping their face, wiping with a dirty towel, scratching...Then RIGHT BACK in the food. Bleh!

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 5:17am
post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by olybaker 

Tried making both kinds.  Those who ate them seem to favor the cake pop maker variety.  I personally prefer it, too, because it's lighter.  The cake+frosting coated with candy melt is way too sweet.

And the candy coating I had was way to hard, as well. You had to crack them on the corner of the counter, like an egg, to open them, teeth wouldn't do the trick, unless you fancied a trip to the dentist in the near future. And, with this particular ball, once it was opened, I was assaulted with the chemical smell of canned icing. thumbsdown.gif

Jackies Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackies Cakes Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 82

I like the cake pops that are made with crumbs and icing ! But I would like to get the pans and try those as well !

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:24am
post #15 of 82

I dislike cake pops period.  I have toyed with the idea of putting a stick in different flavor donut holes and dipping them in chocolate and decorating. That appeals to me more than chummed up cake and mushed icing. Too sweet and the texture is not appealing. 

Kids love them thoughthumbs_up.gif

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 12:50am
post #16 of 82

AI just found out my hubby got me the pans tO make them for my birthday, so I am excited to try them that way. I am not a fan of the texture of the crumb/icing combo. My question is what if you took the filler nozzle and added a hint of icig in the middle if the pop? Think it would work? Can't wait to play!

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 1:05am
post #17 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie-1221 

I dislike cake pops period.  I have toyed with the idea of putting a stick in different flavor donut holes and dipping them in chocolate and decorating. That appeals to me more than chummed up cake and mushed icing. Too sweet and the texture is not appealing. 

Kids love them thoughthumbs_up.gif

Chummed up cake! My new way to describe them, but how many people know what chum is? And "not appealing" is the understatement of the year ;-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDaniels 

I just found out my hubby got me the pans tO make them for my birthday, so I am excited to try them that way. I am not a fan of the texture of the crumb/icing combo. My question is what if you took the filler nozzle and added a hint of icig in the middle if the pop? Think it would work? Can't wait to play!

I do that with mine, with filling and all manner of things;-) I have even cut it open, and jammed frozen ball of ganache in it.

SonyaE Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 2:14am
post #18 of 82

AI ended up making them with the crumbs and icing - still not the biggest fan of it that way however they were for kids so I hope they'll enjoy them.. My first time making them and I think they turned out ok :) [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2923760/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 2:17am
post #19 of 82

Those came out great! I can't get just plain round ones to look decent and I've been trying for months.

Great job.

SonyaE Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 2:26am
post #20 of 82

AYes I agree it's hard to get plain ones to not look lumpy! I love the idea of using donut holes - I'm going to try that next time!

karina_lisa2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karina_lisa2010 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 2:34am
post #21 of 82

I never get to make mine out of cake scraps because my husband eats them all before I can. 

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 2:34am
post #22 of 82

I prefer the crumbs way as I tell me husband I don't like cupcake on stick.  You can do more the crumb way and a lot more variety.  It will just depend kinda like some people really like a cake using a cake mix (nothing wrong with that) then those who like a bake scratch cake.  My husband use to like cake mix but I stopped and went completely scratch now after eating that way for awhile he can tell the difference in cakes.

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 3:40pm
post #23 of 82

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Chummed up cake! My new way to describe them, but how many people know what chum is? And "not appealing" is the understatement of the year ;-D I do that with mine, with filling and all manner of things;-) I have even cut it open, and jammed frozen ball of ganache in it.

Ooh! Yay! Exciting!

kikiandkyle Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 5:46pm
post #24 of 82

AThe thing about the crumb method is you can make the different shapes. Sadly I have not seen a pop maker that does that yet!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:32pm
post #25 of 82

Am I the only person  that makes them with flavored coffee creamer instead of icing?
I sold hundreds of them made that way.

mommachris

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:59pm
post #26 of 82

way too sweet the crumbled and icing way.  We have a limitation on them because I can't use the candy coating (contains dairy) so I always coat them in either white or dark chocolate and everyone seems to like them that way including me, but chocolate doesn't go with everything so flavor options are limited. I've tried using poured fondant, but even with the cake balls that are cooked to shape, that is way too sweet. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 7:47am
post #27 of 82

I'm really not a fan of cake pops in general, I hate the frosting/cake mixture, way too sweet and gummy for me... but then, I've never been a fan of really sweet things or food on a stick :)

I use jsut enough unsweetened whipped cream to hold the crumbs together, and dip them in real chocolate.

I tried the ball maker, but people seemed to get a bit thrown off if they didn't get the truffle like texture, (aka: cake mush), when they bit in. With the cream, you don't get the too sweet, overpowering flavour of frosting, just a moist bite of cake.

Candy melts are a whole other issue, lol, too thick, too sweet and too fake.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 8:50am
post #28 of 82

I'm a cake pop virgin. I've never had the chance to eat one and I heard they were a PITA to make, so haven't tried. If I ever see one that looks/seems reasonably 'fresh' maybe I'll try one...but so far haven't come across one yet. 

ps- also candy melts sort of freak me out...it's like sugary plastic, right?

Marianna46 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:40pm
post #29 of 82

Wow, the flavored creamer and unsweetened whipped cream binders sound delicious, and like a great way to keep them from being overly sweet. Thanks for the suggestions mommachris and scrumdiddlycakes!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 6:13pm
post #30 of 82

I sell as many of these as I can make on the Dessert Truck.  I buy sticks by the box of 1000.  The key is to use the tinest bit of icing with the crumbs.  Most people use way too much - like twice too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%