Do You Use Ganache To Cover Cakes And How Much Do You Charge?

Business By SandyES00 Updated 15 Feb 2013 , 6:52pm by Annabakescakes

SandyES00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyES00 Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 9

I've been having trouble getting crisp corners on my cakes using buttercream under fondant.  The buttercream just doesn't hold it's shape and ends up all rounded.  I've heard that ganache really makes great corners, but it seems like it would cost a ton more to make.  Anyone use this on all their cakes and how much more do you charge than buttercream?

8 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 9

I think the first thing you must do is a cost comparison. Price out the difference and then add for your labor. In my area, dairy is very expensive, but cream is MORE expensive than butter, and for some reason, I need more ganache than buttercream when I cover a cake. You may also find that creating that razor sharp edge gives your cakes a professional appearance which would naturally make people want to spend more. 

bottom line, you have to look at your costs and decide. 

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 2:56am
post #3 of 9

AIs it bad form to ganache just the corners?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 

Is it bad form to ganache just the corners?

Yes. I would be like icon_confused.gif if I ordered a cake and saw that.

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I think the first thing you must do is a cost comparison. Price out the difference and then add for your labor. In my area, dairy is very expensive, but cream is MORE expensive than butter, and for some reason, I need more ganache than buttercream when I cover a cake. You may also find that creating that razor sharp edge gives your cakes a professional appearance which would naturally make people want to spend more. 

bottom line, you have to look at your costs and decide. 

This is a good answer! I know a batch of buttercream costs me about $9, and an almost equal amount of whipped  ganache cost me about $12, but I find it MUCH harder to work with, so cost alone would not be the only factor, for me. Time is money.

And every time I see your screen name, it makes me say Aww! It is so cute! Maybe because I associate it with Ella the Elephant books and she is so sweet. I picture her baking, with a little chef cap ;-)

ellavanilla Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 9

thank you! I had to abandon the name when I reopened to avoid conflict with former business partners, but I love it so much!!

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:

thank you! I had to abandon the name when I reopened to avoid conflict with former business partners, but I love it so much!!

That stinks :-( I assumed it was your name? 

ellavanilla Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 9

My sister's daughter is Ella and it just came naturally. The rhyme, the whimsy and sweetness were just right! *sigh*

I"m Jennifer

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:

My sister's daughter is Ella and it just came naturally. The rhyme, the whimsy and sweetness were just right! *sigh*

I"m Jennifer

Jennifer is a good name. There were at least 3 in all my classes, growing up, so obviously it is a great name! ;-D (And we must be about the same age thirty-*COUGH!!* )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%