How Long Do I Keep A 14 Inch Cake In The Oven For?

Baking By sweetheart1978 Updated 14 Feb 2013 , 2:32am by Apti

sweetheart1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart1978 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there everyone! i'm so glad i've found cake central!

i've recently decided to make a mehndi cake for my neice. i want to make a 14 inch cake but just wanted some suggestions on the recipe.

I 'm currently using the basic method of e.g, 6oz s.r.flour, 6oz marg, 6oz sugar, 3 eggs and 1tsp baking powder just at home for the family. i keep this in the oven for about 45mins.

What proportions of this recipe would i use for a 14 inch cake please and for how long would i keep in the oven?

I hope you can help xxx

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetheart1978 
i've recently decided to make a mehndi cake for my neice.

What proportions of this recipe would i use for a 14 inch cake please and for how long would i keep in the oven?

I'm not familiar with mehndi... maybe this will help:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1978 

Hi there everyone! i'm so glad i've found cake central!

i've recently decided to make a mehndi cake for my neice. i want to make a 14 inch cake but just wanted some suggestions on the recipe.

I 'm currently using the basic method of e.g, 6oz s.r.flour, 6oz marg, 6oz sugar, 3 eggs and 1tsp baking powder just at home for the family. i keep this in the oven for about 45mins.

I hope you can help xxx

Welcome to the forum!  The chart on the link provided by CWR41 will show you how many cups of batter it will take to fill the 14" pan you will be using.   

Make your "basic" recipe and see how many cups of batter the recipe makes.  Then you will know how many times you will need to "double" the recipe to get the required number of cups of batter for a 2" high, 14" cake layer.

Can't help you on the baking time since I am not familiar with your recipe.  Personally, I bake at 325 degrees and use both Bake Even strips AND metal flower nails to bake large cakes so they bake evenly without domes and crispy edges.   It does take longer when I bake at 325 instead of 350 degrees, but it is worth it.

Here is a tutorial thread on Wilton.com that has photos of the method I use with flower nails and strips: 

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=148262&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

sweetheart1978 Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 12:41am
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much CWR41 and Apti xx

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 5:08am
post #5 of 9

The simple answer as to how long is "until it is done" :)  I usually baked a 14" x2"round about 45-55 minutes, but as someone one else mentioned it depends on the recipe and the oven used as each one is different.  I bake at 300 degrees F. for about 30 minutes, then turn the oven up to 325 for about an equal time OR until you can smell that wonderful cake aroma in the next room.  Usually,  if the cake has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is overbaked.   You are going to have to learn how your oven and recipe work together then note that so the next time you make that size you have an idea of time needed.

Apti Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 9

Sweetheart~~You are most welcome.  We would love to see a photo when your cake is finished!

nikki54321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki54321 Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 9

hi you said you use flower nails to bake a large cake to stop it doming. how does this work never heard of it before but im new to cake decorating and new on here. i would like to hear more if possible 

thanks

sweetheart1978 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 6:36am
post #8 of 9

I have a metal flower nail, will defo try using it, i've never heard of it either. I'm not familiar with 'bake even strips', but have heaard they keep the cakes from crusting around the sides.

I'm actually making an early start practicing to make a cake for my Nieces Mehndi (Henna) celebration, a party we have before the wedding.

The Mehndi celebration isn't until August, i need all the practice i can get, its something i've never done before.

If all turns out well, i should have a 14 inch cake with fresh cream and butter cream filling, covered in hot pink fondant and decorated with fondant made MAC make-up.

The sides will be stenciled with Mehndi designs with butter cream and then dusted with gold glitter.

Apti Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 2:32am
post #9 of 9

Here is a tutorial thread on Wilton.com that has photos of the method I use with flower nails and strips: 

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=148262&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Both the metal flower nails and Bake Even Strips shown in the thread above are made by Wilton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%