Yellow Cake Tasted "sour"

Baking By twinmomx2 Updated 11 Feb 2013 , 1:47pm by Annabakescakes

twinmomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinmomx2 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 1:41am
post #1 of 4

hi all,

used a basic yellow box mix for a quick family cake, not butter or sour cream added in and it tasted sour. i let the oven cool down com pletely then stored it in oven overnite to settle and keep cat away, could this have done it? i didnt add anything extra to it and the moistnesss and texture were right on.

other basic question, how long do yall let butter warm up before you use it for buttercream? i normally use white shortening bc i do mostly white chocolate and fudge frosting so ive had better outcomes but i want to get away from artificial ingredients altogether.

thanks!

3 replies
karina_lisa2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karina_lisa2010 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 1:57am
post #2 of 4

I really don't know.... I don't usually leave my cakes in the oven. I usually put them in the fridge. Maybe the eggs or milk was bad when you made the cake. Or it went bad being in the oven overnight? Good luck.. I am curious to know what happened to.

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 4

scratching head

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 4

ACakes don't go sour when they go bad, they get moldy. And that takes at least 5 days. I think it must've been the ingredients. Did you use milk in it? Smell the milk! Is it a different brand mix than you usually use? Sounds gross!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%