Problems With My Red Velvet Cake

Baking By sweetnomis Updated 6 Apr 2015 , 6:20pm by Dotty Rose

sweetnomis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnomis Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 6

I made a red velvet cake following the instructions very closely, but my cake turned out marbled.  It looks like a chocolate cake marbled with red cake.  Weird, right?  It rose beautifully and am looking forward to checking out the texture when it cools completely.  Any advice out there?  Thanks!

5 replies
Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 6

The only thing I can think of is that you did not mix the colouring in all the way.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 6

When are you adding the coloring? In the recipe I use I first mix the sugar and oil, then add the coloring. This allows the ability to really mix the coloring well before putting in the buttermilk and dry ingredients so that the mixture is not over beaten. Sounds like the color just did not get mixed in well.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:26am
post #4 of 6

Sift the cocoa and baking soda with the flour.  

Mix the vinegar with the milk and vanilla. Mix in the red colouring if you are using gel or the grocery store bottles stuff.

Do these regardless of what the recipe says, they help the final cake to be properly mixed without overmixing.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:54am
post #5 of 6

I usually mix my cocoa with my red color and vanilla, then add that after incorporating the eggs. The flour and milk additions that follow ensure it's thoroughly mixed.

Dotty Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dotty Rose Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 6

I've had exactly the same! It's happened every time I make it! I follow the recipe (I've tried 3 now!) it's mixed well and throughly coloured... Then it comes out any it's marbled!!!! Help me please

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%