First Fondant Cake

Decorating By cmc811 Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 11:24am by iCookiBake

cmc811 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmc811 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 18

Hi all,

I'm new to this and am just experimenting with different techniques. I don't make cakes to sell as its just a hobby at this point. I love making cakes for my kids! I had never made fondant or ever worked with it so I thought I would give it a try. Here is the result:

Not too bad, but certainly not perfect! My main question is what timeline do you use when working with fondant? When you roll it out and cut out shape decorations, do you let them dry before moving them? I was having a hard time peeling them off my mat (covered with Crisco) without the shape becoming distorted. Also, I tried rolling the big piece used to cover the cake on the rolling pin but then I couldn't unroll it onto the cake. It didn't stick to the rolling pin but it did stick to itself.

Honestly, nothing went right with this cake from the start so I'm happy with how it turned out, but it took forever! I'm looking for tips and tricks that lead to a better finished product in a shorter time frame.

17 replies
Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 18

I am so new to fondant I can not offer any suggestions, but I wanted to say that looks so cute..i love it

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 18

Your cake looks adorable!!!

My advice to you is not to use crisco on your mat...Use a bit of powdered sugar, or cornstarch. Also, if you're serious about getting into fondant I suggest you check into "The Mat" made by sweetwise. Here's a link to one of their instructional videos...

It's the BEST INVESTMENT I have ever made!!!

DulceTona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DulceTona Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 18

Your cake looks lovely! Try with icing sugar, do not use crisco. When you cut out shape decorations you don't have to let them dry, but placing them on icing sugar will help you manipulate them.

Good Luck!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 18

AYou don't peel your pieces off your mat, flip it over and peel your mat off your pieces ;-)

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky316 

Your cake looks adorable!!!

My advice to you is not to use crisco on your mat...Use a bit of powdered sugar, or cornstarch. Also, if you're serious about getting into fondant I suggest you check into "The Mat" made by sweetwise. Here's a link to one of their instructional videos...

It's the BEST INVESTMENT I have ever made!!!

Just looked this up and I am now ordering one...Thank you

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 12:44am
post #7 of 18

I slide a tapered spatula under my fondant decorations to get them off the mat.

cmc811 Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 4:09am
post #8 of 18

Thanks everyone! The Mat looks really neat and easy to use. Not sure I'll be doing a whole lot with fondant right now, but I might eventually purchase that.

Do you apply the decorations immediately? My fondant was pretty stretchy and easily lost its shape, but now that the shapes have been on the cake they are much easier to work with. We just cut the cake and I was able to easily peel a heart off and manuever it without any distortion. That's why I was wondering if I should let them set a bit before doing anything with them.

babyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyjess Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 4:29am
post #9 of 18

AI recommend taking the WiltonCourse 3 Fondant & Gum Paste class at your local Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They teach you everything you need to know about fondant! It is well worth it.

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 6:40am
post #10 of 18

AI think classes are great if you have the time, and if you don't mind working at the class's pace rather than your own, and working on projects you have to rather than what you want to..., lol sorry I just feel you can learn everything you want to on the Internet :)

mrsdeje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdeje Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 6:56am
post #11 of 18

AYour cake looks adorable! Especially for your first time! I too am venturing into the fondant world for the first time soon and wanted some input... I've been torn between whether or not I want to use satin ice or fondx fondant. I have " the mat" from sweet wise, I actually ordered it last week, and one of the reviews I've read about satin ice is that it's difficult to work with, but very tasty! I figured with the mat, I shouldn't struggle so much, but I would like some input from you guys!

maryland212004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryland212004 Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 18

That looks very good! Great job! =)  I'm new with fondant as well and just did my first baby belly cake

Lea17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lea17 Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 18

ahh your cake is great, and for your first time too!! Well done you :)

I sometimes let mine sit on my foam mat before placing them on my cake, but that's just my preference really and I also use icing sugar instead of crisco unless i'm using a very dark coloured icing, as i can't quite get the white marks from the icing sugar out properly yet where i'm still really learning with sugarpaste lol. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 6:57pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdeje 

Your cake looks adorable! Especially for your first time! I too am venturing into the fondant world for the first time soon and wanted some input... I've been torn between whether or not I want to use satin ice or fondx fondant. I have " the mat" from sweet wise, I actually ordered it last week, and one of the reviews I've read about satin ice is that it's difficult to work with, but very tasty! I figured with the mat, I shouldn't struggle so much, but I would like some input from you guys!

Yeah, it's tasty like Elmer's school paste that weird kid ate when you were in Kindergarten... I only use Michele Foster's fondant, or Marshmallow, in a pinch. I have tried Duff's and it tastes like a vanilla tootsie roll, but at $20 for 2 pounds, they can keep it!

cmc811 Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks everyone! I would absolutely LOVE to take a class because I know I still have a lot to learn, but it just doesn't fit into the schedule at the moment. I used a MMF recipe that I will definitely try again. After searching around on the internet and talking to another hobby baker I figured out that my problems were probably due to not kneading quite enough powdered sugar into the fondant. I think it was just too elastic. I had some leftover so I played with that a bit a few days ago and it was much easier to work with once it sat longer and had a bit more sugar added. It didn't stick to the mat at all and I was able to easily lift cut outs from the mat without them stretching and distorting.

mrsdeje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdeje Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Yeah, it's tasty like Elmer's school paste that weird kid ate when you were in Kindergarten... I only use Michele Foster's fondant, or Marshmallow, in a pinch. I have tried Duff's and it tastes like a vanilla tootsie roll, but at $20 for 2 pounds, they can keep it!

lol, you've got that right! $20 for 2 lbs is nuts! I'm gonna have to try Michele Foster's fondant but I don't have a high quality mixer like Kitchen Aid. Do you think it would still blend well without a kitchen aid? 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 9:23pm
post #17 of 18

I make my own MMF by hand now, my Kitchenaid is currently out of commission so I had to make it by hand, it's actually better that way for me as I can get a better gauge of when to stop adding powdered sugar. I've added too much when using my mixer before. 

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 11:24am
post #18 of 18

Nice cake !! I had some of the same issues as you, we've already cut my first cake and the decorations are still drying .. I think some of my problems are the humidity where I live, and the weather being overcast and rainy. But we are learning, we'll get it right after some practice! :) Good job again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%