Credit Card Fees

Business By leah_s Updated 11 Feb 2013 , 9:12pm by Annabakescakes

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 8:10pm
post #31 of 35

AMay be a common rule, but my customers/consultations always told me that only 2 wedding cake designers had discovered it around here.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 8:42pm
post #32 of 35

A

Original message sent by leah_s

Anna, KY exempts WHOLE cakes from sales tax. You have to pay ( and if course I add it to the customers invoice) for cookies, candy and cupcakes. The rule is literally, if you provide a fork with a whole cake you have to tax it. No fork, no tax on a whole cake.

Stop laughing.

It's in the sales tax rules. Srsly.

Huh. They didn't mention the cupcake and cookie tax to me. I rarely do cookies, but have cupcakes going out several times a week.

I don't serve food here at all, except for my tastings. I charge if they chose the flavors, but not if they take what I give them. So, do I tax my Bride's choice tastings?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 8:57pm
post #33 of 35

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I don't serve food here at all, except for my tastings. I charge if they chose the flavors, but not if they take what I give them. So, do I tax my Bride's choice tastings?

That's an excellent question. For a standalone event the cost of the tasting would be taxable, but if the cost is bundled into a retainer or deposit for a non-taxable product it's a little unclear. We didn't charge sales tax for tastings.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 9:08pm
post #34 of 35

All I can offer is that the exemption specifically states "whole cakes."  If you wanna consider a cupcake a whole cake its certainly OK with me.  Just no fork/utensil.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 9:12pm
post #35 of 35

ADamn, can I get a "flat tax" anyone?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%